aggressive rooster

thank you guys for all your answers i will try the holding down method with him and see if that will change him and his attiude

i love him already so much i will try my best not to have to kill him

Just came from my coop and my rooster is pretty sore from the encounter we just had. He got a bit ornery and I punted him into the coop. He did a nice somersault as he sailed through the air and then he went and hid in the chicken house. I love my rooster, but won't stand for his assaults and put them down real quick. Sometimes I grab him as he comes out of the coop and put him into a submissive hold, other times I just give him the bottom end of my boot for good measure.

The only problem.....no one else in the family will go near him because they can't control him. So, before long I will have to make a decision and either rehome him or put him down due to his aggressive nature. It is tough to make these decisions, but it is part of having a flock and ensuring their health and the safety of your own family.

While I understand that no one should tolerate a bad rooster, I don't agree that abusing them will solve the problem. Aggression just leads to more aggression and distrust. Besides, what fun is it to have a bird you feel you have to kick or smack with a stick?

You will never be able to turn your back on this guy. And he should not be used for breeding. I had one very aggressive rooster out of 6 that I hatched out. Unfortunately a stray dog killed him before I had the chance to roast him myself. There are plenty of roosters out there to love that are friendly, good-natured gentlemen. And they don't cost any more to feed than the bad ones.

well arnie has gone back to old self and not trying to attack you when u try to walk up to u with or without the hens around.

so i can say i have my sweet little man again which is great i couldn't imagine kulling him ever i love him so much

so i can say you can tame a rooster back if you get to him quickly and put time into it cos that is what me and my bf did and im glad i did cos he is such a sweet heart and loves the hens and they love him

I've read a lot about this stuff on several sites (thank goodness for the internet !) and there appear to be 3 schools of thought - domination; kindness; and eating.

Well, my experience with our aggressive rooster is that domination can work, but that just stores up trouble for later. We had a neighbour look after our chooks and she got attacked. Whilst a poolside plastic table, or a cardboard box are fine as barriers, they don't really solve the problem.

So my wife started to pick him up and talk to him sternly, as discussed above and then put him down. He is now respectful of our roles in his society. A miracle cure of sorts. Now we just have to say no, quite sternly and he's OK. We also talk gently to him and he's fine. But he's an animal and is easy to read and we've found that avoiding confrontation has worked fine. Clearly the threat of being held in wife's arms is enough...

So, we do the domination thing where we have to, but would rather read the situation and act accordingly. And he is great character.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Mind you, one of our local speciality dishes is Coq au Vin.........

I started with chickens again after quite a while not having them. I have had them now for about 5 years. I bought my chicks through the mail and close to home at a hatchery. First time I got the colored egg mixture. I also asked for two EE roos. I handled them often wanting them to be friendly. But when they got the hormones in them they were terrible. They fought over the hens and I mean literally over and on top of hens. The hens would try to run from them. Then they started jumping on us. My son tried to help by taking the one roo in and watching tv with the roo. LOL He said he was fine then. But they ended up over the rainbow. So then I got some more from the local hatchery. I wanted an ee roo so I ordered three thinking I might get one good one. They were bad but one was very timid around us. By the way. Everyone tried a different way of treatment which probably didn't help but you know how people are sometimes they think they know best. I don't believe in kicking or hitting because in my experience before it only makes things worse but my son and friend who lives here will not believe me and would kick or hit them so I had no choice but to cull. I left the timid one thinking he would be good. He turned in to a monster!!.... So I tried again at my local hatchery as it was time for replacement hens. Got three more ee roos. I was beginning to think that ee's were just all that way. We had two that were mean this time and one that was not mean. The two that were mean where even mean to the hens. I really didn't mind getting rid of them at all.

So now I have a nice roo who is so good to the hens and doesn't bother us. I still respect him and try not to get into his way. I have been hit too many times by his predecessors.
hit.gif
He has the longest spurs I have ever seen on a roo. He isn't the prettiest but he is the best.
If you look close in the pictures you can see his spurs and he has started another smaller on underneath.

My rooster was headed for the stew pot, until I discovered the SECRET!!!

two words: Squirt gun

bought some small cheapy squirt guns at walmart and it's been like magic. At the first sign of aggression I squirt him in the face and he backs right off. It's only been a week, but now, all all I have to do is show him the gun and he finds something else to do.

The neatest thing is that anyone who comes around, even kids can use it. And the smaller the better. The ones I got fit in a pocket.

I feel confident I will be able to train him soon, that all humans are armed and best left alone. He is great protecting his girls and breaking up girl fights and so he serves a purpose but I was at my wits end getting attacked all the time.

Try it, you'll be amazed.

Heidi

I use my kids pump action squirty to get the cats out of the bushes.Great stuff those squirt guns.Forget the little pistol with an aggressive roo.Go for the BIG guns.

LOL whatever your weapon of choice. I like the little pistol, as it fits in my pocket and handy. And it doesn't take much water to discourage him.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom