Aggressive Rooster

Dont kill him. I have a rooster that acts up some day as well. Depending on what breed of chickens yiu have will determine how agressive your roostet will be. I agree to teach him a lesson and chase him about bat at him with a stick or broom dont it him directly. When my boy is being mean i chase him around the yard stomping my feet and scratching the ground to show him i am the top dog not you. After i hold him talk with him and he is good for a while. If that dont work throw water on him that will make him stop and less harmful lol but dont kill your animals cause they are having a bad day. You raised them like they are your kids, will you kill your own kids? Dont think you would. Give him a chance before deciding to send him to the deep fryer

Honestly i have tried the above mentioned method to no avail. I have to agree with some of the other posters that genetics plays the biggest role not training and sometimes a rooster is just not the best. I have seen roosters attack hawks or dogs that come near their girls but never attack and even be nice to humans. I have personally been in your situation and when kids are involved you need to choose the kids. Either get rid of the rooster or keep him penned up where he has no access to humans. Also if you are breeding to keep any new chicks he will pass those traits along so I would recommend not keeping chciks from him. If you feel that you need a rooster for protection of your girls, shop around for another one. Good luck! I know that decision is not an easy one to make.
Thank you, I agree. I think he is beautiful but quite frankly I get uneasy when he is around because I always have to keep one eye on him. He chased me to my car one day after I let them out to free range. So although I like him I actually do not love him and due to my grandson being around more as the weather warms up it's just not something I want to deal with.
Thank you for your advice!

Perhaps someone could develop some "sensitivity training" for the roosters or the kids?????

Actually, I say; Off with his head!

Perhaps someone could develop some "sensitivity training" for the roosters or the kids?????

Actually, I say; Off with his head!
Same here. I have Faverolles and they are supposed to be docile. Mean ones go into the freezer to prevent those genes from being passed on, hens or roosters.

I want to encourage my toddlers love of chickens, not have to worry about the rooster attacking, in a few years when he is older (of course he may have a younger sibling by then) he can understand how to respect roosters, till then the rooster has to go!

r

Are these male or female

I have a teenage rooster that was just fine until he started to crow and now he side steps us with one side of his feathers down, he will come up and peck you know too. I would like to read rooster reds page but I am new here and done know where to look for it. I want to keep my little man but I wasn't him to not be aggressive!

Back
Top Bottom