Aggressive Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sandhillchick, Oct 3, 2008.

1. sandhillchick

sandhillchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    North Carolina
    One of my roosters (who has always been friendly) started attacking my daughter today (twice!). What is the problem? What should I do to make him stop?
    Thanks!

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Lock him up or get rid of him.

Stupid to put your child in danger over a chicken

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Don't know where you live but it is going to be a chilly weekend here which is good for chicken-n-dumplings;)

Don't take the chance of your daughter getting seriously injured. CULL IT.

1 person likes this.
  4. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    We have one of those too. He attacks both of my kids, the dog and the cats so tomorrow he is on the cull list. Too scarey what could happen. He draws blood out of the blue, just chases them down when they are walking away or just playing on the lawn. Crazy idiot. I know it will be hard but cull him.

1 person likes this.
  5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    maybe a bad day, But i wouldn't chance it.. Would definately Cull, or lock him up. or maybe keep kids away from him.

-Daniel

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

send ya child in there with a broom, and tell her to play hockey with him,, bat him round for 20 minutes,, then see if he does it,, if not,, he just needed a lesson, just like our kids do,,if he keeps it up,, cull him ,, but you should be able to teach them both to get along,, very few roo's are totally mean,, would be awful to cull if he was just having a bad day,,, their like us,, not all days can we be great people.

EDIT: ta say ,, sometimes roo's are just being roo's ,, some days 1 of mine are having a bad day, i can tell the minute i see him,, and the kids and wife are told to leave him alone,, if they dont, and he flogs them,,, THEY get the "speech" cause it was their fault.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
    2 people like this.
  7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:How old is the rooster, how old is the child, what was happening when the roo attacked, etc. Too many variables to just say "cull it". Is the roo going through his adolescence? Is the child a very small child and thus seems a "threat" or "rival" or "intruder" in the eyes of the roo? Was something else happening that had the flock upset? IMHO some people on here are WAY too quick to say "cull" i.e. "kill" when some rehabilitation will work wonders on lots of roos ESPECIALLY if they've "always been friendly" as you say yours has. GIVE HIM A CHANCE! Read RoosterRed's page on roo behavior/rehab, separate him from your child or vice versa, and give the roo a chance to grow up if he's not already mature. If he is, a little behavior modification may make all the difference in the world.

1 person likes this.
  8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i wonder if everyone that screams "cull" does that to a puppy the first time he growls or snips at a kid?? is there a difference?

1 person likes this.
  9. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    In my very humble opinion there is no rooster in the world that is worth a child losing any eye!

1 person likes this.
  10. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I agree with you 100%, scooter, which is why no child should be alone with a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by