Aggressive Rooster

They are afraid of strange objects-ie. Barbie Dolls, Super Heroes etc. Have your kids (not to be abusive, just assertive) throw a toy at them if they approach aggressively. I t worked for me (not with my Barbie Doll, but with other stuff !)

LOL
lol.png
Mine doesn't like being squirted with water or flying objects such as frizbyes. Everytime I throw one he lets out a loud scream.
lol.png

Our roo, Chocolatte, has decided that he does NOT like buckets. For whatever reason, he tries to peck and attack them. Scared the poo out of my daughter (almost 8) when she was holding a plastic Easter bucket. He's a total sweetie and goof when there is no bucket in the picture. He's weird
hmm.png

Quote:
How old is the rooster, how old is the child, what was happening when the roo attacked, etc. Too many variables to just say "cull it". Is the roo going through his adolescence? Is the child a very small child and thus seems a "threat" or "rival" or "intruder" in the eyes of the roo? Was something else happening that had the flock upset? IMHO some people on here are WAY too quick to say "cull" i.e. "kill" when some rehabilitation will work wonders on lots of roos ESPECIALLY if they've "always been friendly" as you say yours has. GIVE HIM A CHANCE! Read RoosterRed's page on roo behavior/rehab, separate him from your child or vice versa, and give the roo a chance to grow up if he's not already mature. If he is, a little behavior modification may make all the difference in the world.

I'm a big believer in rooster reform, however 99.9% of the time it's only me and my SO on this farm and we both know how to deal with it. If on one of the rare visits from the kids either of my roosters were to go after our GS, he'd get one chance because I'd allow for variables that caused it; GS chasing them or wearing a certain color (Zeus hates the colors pink or red). The second time it happened I'd cull him and quick.

Thanks for all the great input! I have been watching the rooster for a few days and think the thing that must have set him off is this----he just loves one of the hens (the only one I can tell that is laying) and my daughter (who loves the hen, too) was riding around with the hen in the basket of her bike. Do you think that just ticked the rooster off? He hasn't attacked again but I am watching him like a hawk. I am learning as I go and am so thankful for all you out there!

to him she was threatening, hurting his mate,, and taking her away like a dominate roo would.i would hold your daughter and let her give him the treats for a while,,, maybe he'll forget,, lol
wink.png

EDIT: cause apparently "ti" is a word,, even if you mean "to" lol
hmm.png

Last edited:
Again--thanks. He is being naughty again today with my daughter. I'm taking him to the local feed store. They will give him away---and they are good about not giving him to anyone who will fight them. THanks for everything ya'll!

When I ordered my birds, I told my husband that these guys get one chance each. That's IT. Reform is all nice and well and good for people who don't have small children on site, but I have four and won't tell them they can't go outside.

Back
Top Bottom