Aggressive Rouen Drake!

Uwish

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Sep 24, 2020
So as I have mentioned I have a Rouen Drake he is so damn aggressive he attacks me every chance he gets. (I call him my attack duck) Rouens are not known to be this aggressive from what I have read. He is such a (male) he has 3 yes 3 curly tail feathers. I raised hun from only a few days old so I have no idea why he is so aggressive. (No I will not be killing him or letting him be someone else’s problem or dinner) he will stay here still being loved. I don’t believe in killing something or getting rid of it just because it’s not an angel) lol
Any ideas on how to tame his aggression or teach him not to go after me and everything else? He goes after dogs, cats, peahens etc etc he is fearless unless I carry my lil broom with me but he is smart and if I set it down or turn my back he is attacking. Pic of my lil butt head

Attachments

• FD1ABED6-9C49-4213-AF45-AA356E504ED4.jpeg
    FD1ABED6-9C49-4213-AF45-AA356E504ED4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 33228F80-E7C8-4C25-954A-214E9D165441.jpeg
    33228F80-E7C8-4C25-954A-214E9D165441.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 8BC68F7B-9C9F-4801-9190-352C12BC6578.jpeg
    8BC68F7B-9C9F-4801-9190-352C12BC6578.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 7
is he your only duck?
No I have a duck (female) Cayuga who is by his side 24/7 he has not tried to hurt her he has not tried to over breed with her etc. neither of them are even a year old his is approx 8 months (I think I will have to look) and she’s a few months younger

I treat any drakes that think they can be aggressive to me the same way another drake would treat them. I hold them down with one hand on the neck so they can't turn and nip and the other where the tail meets the body he is on his belly. I keep them pinned until they stop fighting to get up, Making sure to release them with head away from me. If he starts again I do it again. This isn't being cruel and I am not hurting him. Just letting him know I am #1 not him. The broom or bucket works good to for keeping them away. But treating them the way another drake would seems to get the point across better.

I treat any drakes that think they can be aggressive to me the same way another drake would treat them. I hold them down with one hand on the neck so they can't turn and nip and the other where the tail meets the body he is on his belly. I keep them pinned until they stop fighting to get up, Making sure to release them with head away from me. If he starts again I do it again. This isn't being cruel and I am not hurting him. Just letting him know I am #1 not him. The broom or bucket works good to for keeping them away. But treating them the way another drake would seems to get the point across better.
I read about that same technique and I have tried it soooo soooo sooo many times (I read it should be for 2 min) damn two minutes can feel like a long time lol lol granted I have fallen short of two minutes most of the time and he’ll get up and walk away but within a few minutes he’s back at it I pinned him a total of nine times in an hour span one afternoon. Ugh He’s a stubborn little bugger. Honestly this technique is probably the best but I thought I would ask on here just to see if anybody had anything different or if there was something I was missing thank you so much for your input I sincerely appreciate it

That technique works temporarily for me. I believe it's because he's hand raised and looks forward to seeing me.
However, I use it when I have to and have no other options because he's being too aggressive and a pain.
Usually when I'm in the run and just don't have time to mess with him, I just swish a broom towards him. He waddles away. He will also stay away if he sees the broom is close by. I don't hit or anything- just a swish. I might have gently tapped him in the butt with it though. 😁 He does a little hop and skip when that happens. 😂

Different for every duck is he coming at you with his head down - neck extended? This can be either aggression or submission. Is he just chasing you without his mouth open? If he's doing that it's definitely his imprinting and he's probably wanting to mate with you.

You'll need to decide which way to handle it. You can pin him down - Pen him up by himself or Pick him up and hold him for as long as you can. Carry him around while you do chores, etc. Let him know that if he comes at you - you will pick him up. He probably will get bored of it. If he's 8 months old he's just coming into his true adult hormones - good thing this one wasn't born in the fall I can't imagine how aggressive he would be if this was spring time. LOL

Back
Top Bottom