Aggressive Silkie?

midwestchickenowner

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2023
I have an about 5-month-old Silkie pullet, but her behavior is kind of bizarre. She lets the other people on the farm pet her and pick her up, but she has been biting me since she was three months old. The first time was while I was pouring food in the feeder, and she reached over and bit down on my hand until it bled. At five months old, she was moved into the coop where she got to interact with chickens she wasn't brooded with for the first time. She has only lived in the coop for a little more than a week, but she has started charging me and trying to bite every time I enter the run. Silkies are supposed to be very docile, so what is wrong with her?

This is pretty funny. One of my hens is just really sassy and if she doesn't like what I'm doing she will peck me. Another one of my hens attacks when I touch someone else. Its not something to worry about. Your silkie is getting older and her hormones are changing which might alter her behavior slightly. Also if your letting her peck you she will keep doing it. You can fix her pecking behavior by doing things like "pecking back" but don't hurt her, just offend her.

This is pretty funny. One of my hens is just really sassy and if she doesn't like what I'm doing she will peck me. Another one of my hens attacks when I touch someone else. Its not something to worry about. Your silkie is getting older and her hormones are changing which might alter her behavior slightly. Also if your letting her peck you she will keep doing it. You can fix her pecking behavior by doing things like "pecking back" but don't hurt her, just offend her.
I'll try that!

I have an about 5-month-old Silkie pullet, but her behavior is kind of bizarre. She lets the other people on the farm pet her and pick her up, but she has been biting me since she was three months old. The first time was while I was pouring food in the feeder, and she reached over and bit down on my hand until it bled. At five months old, she was moved into the coop where she got to interact with chickens she wasn't brooded with for the first time. She has only lived in the coop for a little more than a week, but she has started charging me and trying to bite every time I enter the run. Silkies are supposed to be very docile, so what is wrong with her?
Are you sure she is a she? Silkies are very hard to tell gender until they crow or lay an egg, has she laid an egg yet??

Could be a he…

Back
Top Bottom