Aggressive Tom

Turkey for lunch tomorrow you guys
droolin.gif
Ya'll come around noon!!
gig.gif

It was ok when it was me, but the dumb#@$ bird decided to attack the boss!!
lau.gif
Wasn't so funny then! Knocked him down & gave him a good fight!
ep.gif

Just found this thread...............I too have an agressive Tom (BR) and he just started one day to fly at me and flog. A friend of mine said to go in his pen with an umbrella and open it quickly pointing it at him as he approaches. I thought she was crazy but............IT WORKED! Worked so well he goes to a corner of his pen till I finish feeding or watering. Just FYI.

I have two Spanish Black tom turkeys and they are very aggressive. I would like to re-home them with someone who has experience with turkeys, but I'm worried that even though I would of course disclose their aggression to anyone taking them, their new owner would get tired of having to fend off the two and kill them. I would like the two toms to go live somewhere else, but I don't want them to be killed . . .

I had a BR tom i had to rehome this fall.. I hatched him and raised him...for some reason one day he started chasing my boyfriends mom!! And from that day on he hated everyone!! He would chase cars down my drive way...i dont know what happend with him..his parents where the sweetest turkeys! But he got so bad i had to rehome him.

Our Tom started getting aggressive with me (only me- not my husband) about a week ago. I'm not sure why- it's in the middle of winter- so I have changed clothes. Sometimes I wear a white coat, sometimes brown- always with hat, scarf and gloves on. (It's around negative 10 degrees so the coats are not optional). I became very worried when I had to bend over to get the feed out of the cans we keep it in- that put my eyes at his level. Today he became very aggressive- came right at me. I did end up swinging the bucket I was carrying at him, kicking at him but at the end (on my way out of the run) I just angrily put my hands on my hips, took one step towards him then another until he backed up. Continued that until I got to the door, turned around and glared at him until he walked away. I left then. I probably should have stayed in there longer but was more than done with it all for the day. I'm going to have to be prepared to do it again tomorrow. I'm a short lady so I'm not looking forward to having to actually take him down by the neck but will if I have to. His our first and I'm hoping to get some babies from him and his lady this spring. We free range them during the spring summer and fall- if he doesn't learn to behave he wont be allowed out and after I have a replacement Tom he will become dinner. Hope he learns.

I am going to have to remember the umbrella trick. Maybe it will work on roosters, too! So far my Royal Palm Tom (Frank) is tame enough to pick up. He's 2 years old, so I don't anticipate trouble anymore, but I don't put up with much, either. I like the idea of the lady facing him down and backing him off, too. Gotta be the boss with the critters sometimes!

Going to try the umbrella trick and see... lately I've had to put him in his place everyday. He's started to fly at me.. I get behind him and put his head down.... the same way I've seen them do to the chickens and ducks. Once he realizes I'm the alpha- he lets me get on with my business. But this is getting very tiresome. I'm thinking that once spring has come and they have provided the next generation, I'll have to find another location for him.

Going to try the umbrella trick and see... lately I've had to put him in his place everyday.  He's started to fly at me.. I get behind him and put his head down.... the same way I've seen them do to the chickens and ducks.  Once he realizes I'm the alpha- he lets me get on with my business.  But this is getting very tiresome.  I'm thinking that once spring has come and they have provided the next generation, I'll have to find another location for him.

With my old BR Tom, I would have to hold him down and kinda sit on him with my hands on his head holding it to the ground...once he calmed down I would get up, and he would just stay there until I made him get up. he did terrorize my BFs mom and the cars that came in the drive way., but not me! If he did getbout of line I would just hold him down again and he would leave me alone.

Back
Top Bottom