Aggressive Toulouse geese

Redhead20

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2023
Hi i have two Toulouse geese they have been together for all of their lives as i go them together i don’t know the genders as i’m unsure how to do that but my one goose beat up my other one with missing feather on its neck leaving wounds and beaten up bill with scratches and chicks missing i originally thought male and female but i’m not so sure now. I did find them a couple days ago in a fight with on pinned on their back while the other was going after their neck if anyone has advice please let me know

How long have you had these geese?

What do you mean by missing chicks?

Are you in the northern hemisphere or the southern hemisphere?

If you’re in the northern hemisphere ganders get more hormonal this time of year and will fight with each other as well as whatever else triggers them, they can’t help it. Ganders can bond really well with other ganders but they will usually still fight with each other in the winter to spring months, it’s normal.

If the fighting is too bad, if one is consistently getting bullied, if they’re fighting too often/ all day and causing bloodshed it’s better to separate them temporarily or possibly rehome one to someone else with geese unfortunately, but you’ll need to get another goose so your remaining gander isn’t lonely.

Ganders will also mount each other as well as female geese, while breeding they’ll often pull feathers out of the back of their head and neck, that’s common. If it gets too bad you might need to separate them temporarily though.

How long have you had these geese?

What do you mean by missing chicks?

Are you in the northern hemisphere or the southern hemisphere?

If you’re in the northern hemisphere ganders get more hormonal this time of year and will fight with each other as well as whatever else triggers them, they can’t help it. Ganders can bond really well with other ganders but they will usually still fight with each other in the winter to spring months, it’s normal.

If the fighting is too bad, if one is consistently getting bullied, if they’re fighting too often/ all day and causing bloodshed it’s better to separate them temporarily or possibly rehome one to someone else with geese unfortunately, but you’ll need to get another goose so your remaining gander isn’t lonely.

Ganders will also mount each other as well as female geese, while breeding they’ll often pull feathers out of the back of their head and neck, that’s common. If it gets too bad you might need to separate them temporarily though.
I’ve had these geese since they were about 10 days old

7 months old
If you have 2 boys they may need to play it out. Hormones at this age seem to control everything. If there not hurting any other birds you have. My guess if there both boys there just figuring out pecking order and it can get really crazy some times. There really not trying to impress a girl. There just dealing with testosterone. I have 6 young ganders in the flock right now although the goal is to get the girls attention they challange each other all the time. (So funny there big conquest is removing the tail feathers from another gander). 2 years ago my now adult ganders did the same thing. Yes it draws blood but eventually they find there place in the flock. My older boys stooped the practice after the first breeding season. But I do have a good balance of boys to girls.
When I put them in the barn today I notices allot of missing tail feathers on the young boys. Its really just the right to passage.

Back
Top Bottom