aggressive vs. pecking order?

Chickanne

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2015
Oakland
I ordered and picked up 3 chicks 2 weeks ago (BA, BR, Welsummer). They were a day old or nearly. The next day, I went to a different feed store to get an EE to complete my 4 hen plan. The feed store only had EEs that were 1 1/2 week old and it was crowded conditions for the chicks. As I realized when I was driving home, this EE chick has been stressed it's whole 10 days of life and it is bigger than the other chicks, so there may be some problems. Sometimes it is peaceful in the brooder and I am hopeful, but other times she is flying around and at and on the other chicks. The Welsummer stays out of the mix, but the BR and the BA stand up to her and flap or fight back.

If the other chicks stand up to the EE, does that mean they are still figuring out their pecking order? For the moment, I put her in chicken jail just to give the other chicks a break.

Thanks!
ChickAnne

Are they actually pecking or is the EE just trying out her more developed wing feathers? They all eventually act like deranged crackheads as they discover what they can do. It's quite fun to watch. Give them a brick or a small roost to jump on and a pie or cake pan of dry dirt to bathe in. Offer them treats and grit directly in their litter to scratch around for. I like to start with meal worms that I crush a bit between my fingers when they're that young. Keeping them occupied goes a long way. And the more room you can give them to run around the better.

This is what I brooded my last batch of monsters in. They're about a month old here. It's a large dog crate. The cardboard holds in a deep bed of pine shavings. It was like gymboree in there at times. The kennel is now down in the chicken run with the door propped open far enough for the babies to come and go but the adults can't. They'll out grow it very soon.

The brooder box is a large outdoor Rubbermaid toy/storage box. I have a roost and a block of wood and have tried other items...piece of cardboard with marker specks on it, hanging leaf of lettuce which they thought was an eagle. I will add a dust bath today and get that coop finished this weekend to give them more room! Also - the EE has little spur nubs, but I read hens can have that too?

Back
Top Bottom