Agitated and noisy hens

jettgirl24

Songster
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
Duvall, WA
My girls are 21 weeks old today and normally very mellow/quiet. This morning I let them out and they seem agitated and are making a bunch of noise, especially my bigger BR. I went out and looked around for anything that might be nervous... Neighborhood cat, hawks overhead, etc. and there's absolutely nothing going on. Is it possible that she could be getting ready to lay? Her comb has gotten more and more red over the last week so I know she's getting close but what other behavioral signs will they display?

Thanks!

Were they bawk bawk BAGAWKing? If so then they should lay soon, I got my first egg 2 weeks after the first egg song. And soon before a hen lays it will start to do the "egg squat" whenever you walk past, or reach for one. This is a hen's way of saying "You're the rooster, and I approve of you." Throwing shavings/hay on the back is also something a hen does before laying, mine did. But it also doesn't take much to scare a chicken, a simple snake slithering past the run/coop is enough to get a hen nervous, or even a mouse or rat!

One of then was doing what sounds like the egg song... The other two got all excited with her but were doing their weird chicken groan kind of noise... I'm not sure she was squatting but every time I went out to check on rum they'd run to where I was and continue bawking away!

I don't know what's going on out there this morning but I sure hope it's egg laying behavior cuz I'm starting to get impatient!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom