Agressive flock

GhostG

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2020
Hi, i have had chickens half my life n never had this issue, mine were always super chill except for 1 roo out of 100 hens n roos. My son n his wife have a flock, most just getting laying age n about half r roos, they r just starting to lay eggs n getting spurs about a qtr inch out, n they r very agressive about food. (I think theyre not getting enuf, tbh) but i am getting the blame since i feed extra when i can and pet them . one of the kids who is in charge of feeding got pecked severly on the nose by a very jerky roo who was already a problem to the other chickens even. Ive since showed her how to hold them so they cant peck her face but kids do forget so they r worried

Do they have feed available every hour they are awake?
No, they do free range n 6 cups of crumbles in the morning, but I told them I think that is not enough. Mine eat as much as they want n are sweet n fat

How many birds do they have? What size is the coop and run?

And half the birds are male? If so that's a major problem right there.
Ya, its about 20 birds, almost half roos, large coop, n they have free range in the day time, but since it rains constantly,they cant really forage

Whoa. So I weigh our girl's food and they never eat all of it in a day, but 6 cups for 20 some odd chickens is really not enough. They should be getting 110-120g per chicken per day. I feed our girls about 110g/chicken/day and my chickens never finish, they always have leftover. We had a problem with a couple of our girls over eating, getting fat and dying before the year mark, so the vet recommended weighing, now I just like it because it helps me know when they aren't eating enough or are really hungry. 440g eyeballed looks like about 3.5 cups I would guess, and that is for 4 girls. If money for feed is the issue, they should probably start freezer camping/selling the extra roosters, that many roosters in one area is a recipe for disaster. I also hear that a lot of roosters go through a "crazy" stage initially before their hormones stabilize a bit at the yearish mark. They are basically primed to be extra big jerks, but even so, way, way too many cockerels in there.

Ya, its about 20 birds, almost half roos, large coop, n they have free range in the day time, but since it rains constantly,they cant really forage
They should have access to as much food as they would like.

Something will have to be done with most/all of the cockerels. Food consumption will go down by half once they are removed. Being harassed by that many males along with not enough food won't help egg production.

Do they have feed available every hour they are awake?
No unfortunately. The owners say they forage but they are always crazy for food n its always raining so they cant really forage well. Theyre actually getting soaked looking for food

Back
Top Bottom