agressive hen...help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newtothis2011, Jan 24, 2012.

1. newtothis2011

newtothis2011 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    I went to get my eggs this morning and I had 1 hen that **** near tried to eat my hands....I dont have any roosters...she was also cackling VERY loud...any ideas???

2. eggsnatcher1960

eggsnatcher1960 New Egg

Jan 24, 2012
    I have rhode Islands that are like that all the time, your hen may be broody, I have one normally very nice a bit on the crabby side, she has pulled her feathers and wants to set, but she is making my egg production go down, you don't have to have a rooster for a hen to go broody.

3. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Leather gloves! Some hens just hate you coming near when they're sitting, esp if they're broody.

If this is a new behavior, I'd guess she's broody.

4. newtothis2011

newtothis2011 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    i have RIRs and what does broody mean and do i need to do something special? im new, im sorry

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    If she stays in the nest box day and night she's broody and wanting to set and hatch eggs. I think you just caught her before/after laying. Mine get pretty crabby if I disturb them when they're trying to lay their egg.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

+1

7. Kara515

Kara515 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    I have one hen that is like that too. I have finally learned (after being pecked a time or three) to put my hand over the top of her and then slide it under her chest and pick her up. Sometimes, if she has been acting broody, I just pull her out and give her some greens or some kind of goodies to distract her, and check the nests that way. It isn't too difficult to stop her when she is broody. I just do that for a couple of days in a row and keep her off the nest for awhile each day by distracting her and she is ok. My Silkies are not that easy though!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by