Agressive hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by glochis, Jul 23, 2011.

1. glochis

glochis Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    I have a buff cochin who it being bullied by a light brahma, an americana and a black sex link. I don't have a roo and the bullies are 4 year old hens. I knew someone was picking on her, she had a bare bottom where someone had pulled her feathers out, but today I caught them in the act. They managed to "gang" up on the poor thing, bouncing her from one direction to another. Do I get rid of the bullies? the poor cochin? I have a total of 19 chickens, adding a couple each spring. They have plenty of room and free range for 2 hours in the evening. Need ideas - thanks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Separate out the bullies for a period of time--days not hours, and then reintroduce them one at a time to the flock over a period of a week. Hopefully they will have lost rank and will get their butts kicked. If they resume their bullying, either cull them or the bullied hen. Good luck at resolving this.

3. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    She is probably just the Bottom Of Pecking Order, if she is new the need to establish that, but if not separate her from the bullies...Good Luck [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by