Agressive Naked Neck Roo

512farm

Hatching
Nov 22, 2015
Ball, Louisiana
I just discovered that I have a rooster. It was actually really cute when we all discovered he was a rooster. He made a slight crowing sound and everyone in the run jumped, including him. I have nine hens along with the roo. I've decided to keep him but am concerned because he is very aggressive with the hens. He's pecking at them and at me when I'm in the coop. They are all about five month old pullets. I've done some research and haven't come across any negative reviews for the Naked Neck Rooster. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure that breed is necessarily indicative of rooster behaviour - some are calm and placid, and others are real terrors - especially when they are teenagers. If i'm reading your post correctly, you got them all at the same time, and do not have any adult hens or another roo that would put him teach him some manners and put him in his place?

There are a number of different views as to how to treat roos, but i personally employ a water pistol / plant sprayer to ward off any aggressive behaviour. It seems that most cockerels are friendly, but its best not to be too "lovey-dovey" with them as it can result in them not giving you the respect necessary as they mature.

I'd suggest searching threads on roo management and make your own decisions as whats best to do. Do please be aware that the problem can escalate and if you have children, then err on the side of caution.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

CT

He might just be onery and you will need to get rid of him. But it could be that he is just trying to get his girls in line and what looks overly aggressive to you is actually just normal behavior.
Do not tolerate him attacking you. My rooster started getting onery at about 5 months and I had to show him who was boss by swatting him in his tail feathers a few times and running him out of the yard. Since that point he has been very well behaved.
Unless your hens are getting wounded, I would just let him get things sorted.

I just discovered that I have a rooster. It was actually really cute when we all discovered he was a rooster. He made a slight crowing sound and everyone in the run jumped, including him. I have nine hens along with the roo. I've decided to keep him but am concerned because he is very aggressive with the hens. He's pecking at them and at me when I'm in the coop. They are all about five month old pullets. I've done some research and haven't come across any negative reviews for the Naked Neck Rooster. Any suggestions?
Aggressive behavior in a rooster is normal when they are trying to win dominance over the hens; especially with a young rooster. As long as he is not physically hurting them-cuts, blood, pulled feathers and its just pecking, I wouldn't worry about it. When the dominance game is over the rooster's behavior should change. If the behavior does not quit and the hens are being harmed, then consider culling him from the flock.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! @CTKen you're correct, this is a new flock. We don't have any children, so that's not a concern. I was thinking of using a little water gun to spray him when's he's out of arms length. @OrganicFarmWife , I do swat at his tail feathers when he gets after me and also "squawk" at him when he's getting after the other hens. He picks on my Sussex's the most. Those girls are my sweetest hens. I will keep an eye on him @nchls school . I'm hoping he's just being a teenager. There has been no blood so hopefully he'll grow out of it. Thanks again everyone!

You are most welcome - seems like other members have given great input. "there's more than one way to skin a cat" as they say, so do what is best for you.

All the best

CT

So ZsaZsa, now called Frank is definitely aggressive. He ripped into my Father's leg but hasn't attacked me. He does show aggression with me but I don't back down or show fear. I usually put my boot out and he'll peck at it. I'll step forward and he'll peck some more and always backs down. Every morning when I enter the coop, he's at the door "protecting" and once our dance is over I'll open the coop door and he'll go out to the run, followed by the rest of the hens. Well, eight hens and now one more rooster.

My aggressive Naked Neck, only a Mother could love.

Meet my beautiful, Sunny, a Speckled Sussex,. So far, he's very sweet and still learning to crow, which is really cute.

So ZsaZsa, now called Frank is definitely aggressive. He ripped into my Father's leg but hasn't attacked me. He does show aggression with me but I don't back down or show fear. I usually put my boot out and he'll peck at it. I'll step forward and he'll peck some more and always backs down. Every morning when I enter the coop, he's at the door "protecting" and once our dance is over I'll open the coop door and he'll go out to the run, followed by the rest of the hens. Well, eight hens and now one more rooster. My aggressive Naked Neck, only a Mother could love. Meet my beautiful, Sunny, a Speckled Sussex,. So far, he's very sweet and still learning to crow, which is really cute.
I think I'd be aggressive if I looked like that - can't be an easy look pull off :gig Ct

Back
Top Bottom