Agressive or Scared Duck

Slagasse

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2015
So Hi guys, this is a puzzling one about change in duck behavior. We have two muschovy ducks, and 4 mixed chickens (I rescued them from Henny Penny that was at my Kindy Program). About a month ago we moved houses. The new house has much better fencing, a huge garden with trees and flower bushes. Both chickens and ducks seemed to really enjoy the new yard. We have both free range but the chickens do not enjoy the ducks, though we tried to sociallize them when they were little the chickens have never loved the ducks. They will very much leave the ducks alone but if a duck comes to close they will flap and jump on their backs and peck at them. They have never hurt the ducks but the ducks so try and avoid them. (the ducks never really go at the chickens. They seem to want to be with them)

So during this period of moving one of the Duck Danny (yes she's a girl) has gone Broody. Jack (our other female) hasn't but we have had to separate them somewhat and when Danny comes out she chases poor Jack around we have had to lock one of them or both in separate areas. However they seem to settle down and have gone back to sleeping together at night (we leave their pen open and they put them selves in.)

So this morning when I opened their pen I then went and let out the chickens. I gave them food and water. Danny tried to chase Jack a bit so I gave Jack some extra water mellon in her own area. As I was checking the yard Jack came over to me and so I knelt down, she sometimes tries to bites my toes or my legs, so I knelt down and she started biting, normally I just have to put my hand on her and pet her or rub her and this is all the attention she needs. However today when I tried to stop her from going and biting my feet and legs she flapped up and jumped on my arm flapping and trying to go my face. So I pushed her away took her and put her in her own pen. Once all the yard work was done, I went to see she seemed calm wagging her tail at me (no hissing or anything) So I opened her pen and let her out. She immediately ran toward my feet and when I tried to stop her she climbed my arm again straching she knocked me over and she landed on the ground and tried to go around to my back. I put my arm out to stop her because if she'd gotten on my back. So suddenly there was my chickens and they sort of chased her off. One of the chickens jumped her and pecked her and then hopped off and she ran the chickens stayed at my feet and I was able to get to the main door.

Ive since checked on them and Jack shes laying in the shade, and the chickens are off in the yard. When I went to the door and wagged her tail at me.

I don't know if she's now Broody and this her reactions? Or if she's lonely because the chickens don't want to spend time with her and her duck sister has been broody and doesn't want to spent time with her? Do I not spend enough time with them? I work full time so generally my partner is the one home in the mornings and evenings feeding them 5 days a week, where as I feed them weekends and Mondays. (She's never done this to me before and HAS never ever done it to my partner) We are both female so I just not sure whats happening.

First off, it will not matter if your female or male.......Your Hen is being dominant with you....Bossy.......Ducks in general are docile....Could be her Broodiness???
I think she needs a correction from you......Tomorrow do not allow her close to you.....Chase her off for a few days....Nothing worse than a bossy Bird.....

Cheers!

I will try chasing her off. I thought maybe Jacks behavior could be because she's being broody or becoming Broody. But she def only "bosses" me if its bossy behavior. I have heard ducks are suppose to be very docile this is why this current behavior is so weird for us.

My partner has corrected her and it seems to work. I have tried to correct her in the past, we had the owner of the their mother come out, from the local farm, show us technique he uses. It seems to work fine for my partner, but bird are smart and wonder if they know I am the less dominant one an try and boss me around.

Today when I tried to chase her though was when she got very aggressive. Jumped on me scratched up my arm.

I will try chasing her off. I thought maybe Jacks behavior could be because she's being broody or becoming Broody. But she def only "bosses" me if its bossy behavior. I have heard ducks are suppose to be very docile this is why this current behavior is so weird for us.

My partner has corrected her and it seems to work. I have tried to correct her in the past, we had the owner of the their mother come out, from the local farm, show us technique he uses. It seems to work fine for my partner, but bird are smart and wonder if they know I am the less dominant one an try and boss me around.

Today when I tried to chase her though was when she got very aggressive. Jumped on me scratched up my arm.
Sorry.....okay.....Never Chase them off, But get her moving.....Use an extension to your arm like a broom stick or long tree branch....Do not chase but herd the duck away....Have you spoiled them?? Holding. treats???

That's what I did today when she flapped up jumped onto my arm and began to attack me. I thought she might have been afraid. They don't get overly spoiled, we do give them watermelon and different veggies as 'treats' beside their regular feed. We held them alot as chicks but Jack is a timid duck. If walk towards her she will often hurry away. She's done this since she was a little tiny chick, we held her alot as a chick but once she was big enough we moved them outside she became very nervous. I will be out and she will be in the path and I walking toward the other coops and she will make a noise and run. But she will then follow behind me and when I stop and kneel down she will come and get scratched but I have to kneel if I try and bend over she runs.

I really don't know. Shocker huh chickens really?
1f61c.png

But if I had to guess(and I do) I would say dominance. I don't have Muscovy and mallards types are very different birds. But I have heard they can be more aggressive and with stronger legs and sharper claws, they can inflict more dark age than other ducks
You said you think she is going broody? Is or was she sitting on eggs? Also like chickens really said, do you spoil her. Maybe if she is used to having treats every time she gets mad if she doesn't get some? I know chickens get like that sometimes.

Gotta run
Will write more tomorrow if I can

Back
Top Bottom