agressive peacock

It's actually harmful for peas to be in overly-close 'pet-like' environments because in their mind you and they are the same species and the interaction with you is how they would interact with each other. Which gives you the problem of sparring during mating season. Unfortunately this will not improve. The only way to keep a pea from becoming human-aggressive is not raising them so closely in tune with humans. Best example, the ones free-ranging at zoos and botanical gardens aren't aggressive because they know they are peas, we are people & there is a line between us.

It's actually harmful for peas to be in overly-close 'pet-like' environments because in their mind you and they are the same species and the interaction with you is how they would interact with each other. Which gives you the problem of sparring during mating season. Unfortunately this will not improve. The only way to keep a pea from becoming human-aggressive is not raising them so closely in tune with humans. Best example, the ones free-ranging at zoos and botanical gardens aren't aggressive because they know they are peas, we are people & there is a line between us.
Until children pull feathers.

I'd be keen to learn how to change the bond. I have a peacock raised from chick but free-ranges & sleeps in the tree beside my bedroom. Changing bond means penning?
No. Changing the bond as in the bond you share with your birds. There are different kinds of bonds though. Usually the one that gets people in trouble sometimes is a mother and her chick bond. The reason why, you're babying the bird too much. Sometimes you get birds that will take advantage of it because you won't "say no" in a way. So the bird will walk all over you. Just like raising a dog. If you have an adult dog that is treated like a puppy that dog may never take you seriously and walk all over you. Other times you can get that peafowl that wants to be in your lap and follow you around. Other times they push back because they're tired of the mother and baby bond and want some independence. You need to change the bond. One easy way to change the bond is weaning them off of you. Quit treating them like their hatchlings and start treating them as adult peafowl. Even if they're only a few months old, you need to let them start getting a sense of the real world. When I would watch my peafowl when they had chicks you can see some interesting things. When they're new hatchlings mother does almost everything their way. They start getting cold they get close and she drops down for them. When feeding she lets them in the pan. If the male gives the chicks a wrong look or pecks them, mother will get angry and jab the male back. As they get older she's not doing the same things. If the peachicks want warmth they will put themselves under her wings. She won't move as much for them anymore. When the male wants them out of the feed pan he can give them a peck to move them and the hen won't do anything. Eventually the bond becomes a we're flock mates but you chicks are on your own. They will still look out for each other, they know that none of them are predators to each other, but mother won't put up with your crap.

To summarize in case you got lost. Think of it like a dog. You treat a dog like a puppy, it's going to act like a puppy. It may be fun having that little puppy act, or you can get into the naughty puppy that will never listen to you and will test you. You treat a dog like a dog you can get better results.You still look out for your birds, you still take care of them, but your not babying them. You let them be them and you be you. You can still be social, pet them, etc. All of my peafowl, we respect each other, we know each other, they know I'm not a predator, I know they're not a predator. I can still catch and pet my peafowl. When it comes to other people they don't know. They don't know who they should trust and who not to trust. Since they trust me though, they know as a flock mate I'll look out for them.

Back
Top Bottom