Agressive Rooster and pepper spray

Thank you all for your input on pepper spray for a mean rooster. I had a rooster I had to kill because he was so aggressive. I have NO experience - that was my first rooster ever (and my first chickens). I am not physically able to manhandle a rooster. I thought of pepper spray blinding or killing the roo that's why I asked if anyone had tried it. :) I just bought 3 little straight run Orpingtons and know I shall have 1 to 3 roosters. <G> I would like to keep at least one of them but will not tolerate one spurring me. Maybe having a rooster is just not for me. Thanks for all the input.

You may want to see what happens with those. My big Blue Orpington rooster lived to be almost 6 years old, not an aggressive bone in his sweet old body. Orpingtons are not usually one of the most aggressive of breeds as far as roosters go, though hatchery stock can be hard to gauge, being all over the place.

this is our boy blue...almost 7 months now....

I think every situation is different, but perhaps most people that coddle their chickens, at the same time are too gentle when a rooster starts to "feel his oats" and decides to take you on. I cuddle my roosters, but I also walk right up to a rooster and pick him up. If you are timid and worry about being pecked, he will walk all over you. Roosters with me either come up to be held or they avoid me, but they never challenge me. I also don't kick them with a boot, or hit them with brooms. Roosters think that is play time and you are challenging them. Never show fear.

Raising chickens is not for the faint hearted. I have one neighbor who wears thick gloves when collecting eggs because she doesn't want to get pecked. I like it, I think the hens are feisty if they peck. Recently, the lowest hen on the totem pole (polish) decided she was going to make me under her, and tried to kick me with her feet. I just petted her.

It's been a long time since we had an aggressive rooster. Both the roosters and their hens are apprensive about getting too close to people. We never handle or pet them.. To move them they have to be trapped or caught with a net. If they are bold enough to peck or get under foot they get a squirt from a spray bottle of water. They really hate that. No need pepper spray.

Back
Top Bottom