Agressive Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JessicaCayer2, Oct 11, 2012.

1. JessicaCayer2

JessicaCayer2 New Egg

Oct 3, 2012
    I am new to having chickens and I knew that having a rooster would mean that I would need to keep and eye on him. Sometimes he is very sweet but other times he is a little aggressive. Today I went to get everyone back into the coop and he attacked me, not really bad just lots of feathers and biting. So having read the threads about roosters I immediately kicked him away and then chased him around the yard. I then got everyone back into the coop and grabbed him up and just help him there with is beak closed. Did I do everything I should have? Also I only have 3 hens for him does he need more? If he goes to attack me again what should I do? Thanks

2. Roosterlover5

Roosterlover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    You did good with him,he may summit to you but all roos are different,he could be more on the mellow side,or the wild side. And yes a rooster needs more then 3 hens because of the mating issue.Be careful if you kick him,chickens have hollow bones and if they break they could die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by