AH ! Ants in the water....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FluffyandGinger, Oct 10, 2013.

1. FluffyandGinger

FluffyandGinger Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi all,

It's been a scorcher here in Sydney, Australia today (39'C) and massive black ants have taken over my chickens waterer. I sprayed them all off with water and refilled it, only for them to come back seconds later.

My poor chooks were panting on their perch this evening so I took them a bowl of water and ice that they drank from but I'm concerned that the ants have put them off their normal waterer while they've invaded it....and how can I get rid of these ants without using poison that could harm my feathered babies.

Any suggestions?

Thanks !!! [​IMG]

2. EllaM

EllaM Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    Hi there!
    It's really hot here is Brisbane too!!

I haven't had this problem before with chickens, but ants have certainly invaded my dog and cat's food/water dishes.
    We solved this problem by placing the big water dish/bowl/bucket in a smaller shallow pan of water that fits nice
    enough around the bottom of the important water bowl. Make sure the shallow dish doesn't protrude too much out
    from the main water otherwise your chickens won't be able to get to it comfortably without stepping in the shallow
    dish. Although if this is a waterer that hangs off the edge of the coop or from the top, you may want to simply
    replace it with a bowl throughout the hot seasons. Just position it close to the previous spot of the original waterer
    and they will learn fairly quickly. You could also just buy a water/food dish designed to keep ground insects
    out for dogs or cats (bowls with an outer rim which can be filled with water) if you can't find good materials
    for the earlier suggestion.

Hope this helped!!!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by