1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

AH! I'm overrun with chickens!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duck Keeper, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Seriously. [​IMG]

In real life as well, needing to 'off' some of them... Muahaha...

But my ducks are getting up there in numbers too... What to do, what to do. [​IMG]

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

get rid of the chickens [​IMG]

3. Duck Keeper

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I need to... Planning on getting rid of most at a show/swap meet, but I'm not totally sure how a swap meet works. o_o;

Do you just... swap birds?

Besides some roosters heading for BBQ land... [​IMG]

4. Like you give them all your chickens and they give you a bunch of ducks?
    You should do that!! [​IMG]

Actually I went to one last June. All kinds of animals were being bought and sold and traded. Mostly bought and sold tho, and for not nearly enough money. Most of the poultry selling was for people who wanted to eat them . . . sigh
    Maybe it's different where you are.

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i no exactly how you feel i started out with just ducks and a goose and now i have no geese 27 chickens and 12 ducks

6. Duck Keeper

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Yeah, I started with one goose and nine ducks, now I'm at (somewhere near) 16 ducks, 2 ducklings (more in the 'bator. Muscovies! [​IMG] ), 7 silkies, 14 chickens, 6 turkeys... No geese. [​IMG]

I miss the goose.

7. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I started with 17 hens and one day realized I had gotten up to almost 100 birds!!! the shock of that 100 number made me realize I had to do SOMETHING.

8. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    I know what you all are saying! I went from having 10 or 12 chickens to over 30 and including 4 ducks. Way too much stuff and having three chicken houses to take care of, nah,...have to thin them out. Yesterday I took 7 chickens to our local flea market. Sold them cheap enough, but I don't have to feed them now! I sold them in an hour or less,..I was happy! [​IMG] (Nobody is getting my ducks though [​IMG] [​IMG])

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I started with 4 and now 50+ ...My Dh is ready to kill me-I have a huge brooder with silkies-9 are going this week-4 coops and a quaratine coop--I need to get my numbers down to 30 or less before winter-I do have a few roo to process but...not enough to get those numbers down-we are closing 3 coops and only going to use the heated ones for all the birds-layers in one and goofballs in another!

10. Duck Keeper

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Wow, pretty sweet setup! [​IMG]

All I have is a dog kennel (chain-link), a small pen behind the 10'x14' barn, and a larger pen from the back of the small pen to the front on the right side of the barn. Sorry to confuse you! Lol.

Inside the barn is partitioned off so there's about five x ten feet for the turkeys, with a lot of storage and several cages on the wall. The rest is purely chickens, and the ducks are outside in their pens.

Too many birds! [​IMG]
    Although I don't have anywhere near a hundred yet, I'm a few shy of being halfway there with out even knowing it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by