Ahhh I hope it’s not a roo!! Help!

ooh, you have one pretty boy!
he is definitely a cock. and he's just learning to crow! do you have any no-roosters-allowed laws where you live, or do you have a rooster? or do you just not want a rooster at all?
No we live in the sticks and many people have chickens and other animals , but I don’t want any fertilized eggs and I don’t want to annoy any neighbors. If he’s a quiet boy he may be able to stay. I don’t really want to give any of them up.

No what are those? I’m a total newbee! Thanks for your help!
The pointy feathers that are growing near his tail are saddle feathers. As a general rule, roosters will have pointy saddle feathers, while hens have more blunted/rounded ones. Your guy has super cool coloring, he almost looks like 2-3 chickens in one! 20221010_200550.jpg

He's a handsome fella! Fingers crossed he's quiet. But that sound coming from your coop that probably sounded like a dying cat.....was just your confirmation. Lol Just a question, no judgement. Why do you not want fertilized eggs?

The pointy feathers that are growing near his tail are saddle feathers. As a general rule, roosters will have pointy saddle feathers, while hens have more blunted/rounded ones. Your guy has super cool coloring, he almost looks like 2-3 chickens in one!View attachment 3287315
Oh wow! Thanks for showing me this. I do see the difference. Yeah he’s super cool looking and he’s actually the one I REALLY wanted when i saw him as a day old chick. I made the lady chase him down because he was so pretty even as a new chicky.

He's a handsome fella! Fingers crossed he's quiet. But that sound coming from your coop that probably sounded like a dying cat.....was just your confirmation. Lol Just a question, no judgement. Why do you not want fertilized eggs?
YES! A dying cat! It was a weird bellow sound!
I don’t think I want too many more chickens I have 12 now.

YES! A dying cat! It was a weird bellow sound!
I don’t think I want too many more chickens I have 12 now.
😂 Ha that's what I thought mine sounded like. As for the fertilized eggs, just pull them and put them in the fridge. Nothing will hatch unless you let the hens sit on them. My rooster didn't change any of my plans.... just that I'm an egg a day shorter than I wanted to be. Lol 😂

Back
Top Bottom