Ahhhh What is wrong with these people! .... happy ending

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, Nov 25, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I've mentioned this before in another post but I just can't believe this. I have 50 little chicks that I brooded and sold. I had 4 buyers all of which knew the day they would be ready to be picked up BEFORE they ordered. Everyone of them didn't show up when they told me they would. Not just the first time, but the second and the third times. One lady called and said she couldn't pick them up until after Thanksgiving. Ok, I'm a nice understanding person. I have these 6 little pullets all alone in a big coop waiting to be picked up. She was supposed to come Friday, then Saturday and for sure today. Well, it's dark out, and she's still not come. I've even called her. 3 times. She said Oh, I'll ring you right back. That was 3 hours ago.

So my question is, how hard is it these days to just do what you said you would do, when you said you would do it? Have we come so far that our word means nothing and we just throw it out with no intention of following through?

Our business slogan is "On Time Every Time" Why? Because nobody else is!! It's our niche.

I guess if teenagers are so intent on being different from everybody else, and having their own style, all they need to do is be on time and do what they say they will. Believe me, there are few others out there that will be like them :thun

Thanks for the Vent I'll shut up now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I wouldnt sell any birds to anyone who stands me up even one time. PERIOD. They aren't responsible enough to care for my babies. If they're in a traffic accident or something similar, they're forgiven. Other than that, no excuses. Geez, they could at least call. My DH used to hate being stood up by salesmen. If one had an appt to show up at a certain time, he'd give them ten minutes. Then he'd put a sign on the door to the effect that "If you are more than 10 minutes late, don't bother."
    My fourth grade teacher even had a saying I still remember. When someone said about turning in their homework late, "Better late than never!", she shook her head and said, "Better never late.". It's the height of rudeness toward you, Deniece. I'd refuse her if she ever calls you back.

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    what about a deposit? i don't know how much you sell them for? if it happens a lot, could you even do something like, for instance, twenty dollars down even if it's just a five dollar purchase. then they get the remainder back? kind of of like renting a machine from the hardware store?

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'm in the mood to kick someone, so when she calls back, send her my way. [​IMG] :thun
    No, really. Send her my way... then my DH (D stands for DUMB at the moment) will live to see another day.
    I totally agree with Speckled. How many times is this lady going to waste your time? Don't let her do it anymore. If she calls back, I'd tell her sorry.

5. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I wouldn't let her have the birds either. That is just rude. She doesn't respect your time and that is the unforgivable. Your time (if it is like mine) is more important than anything. She does not respect you or your time or whatever else you could have been doing other than waiting for her and playing phone tag with her. Forget her. Find a new buyer. [​IMG]

6. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I have another buyer, maybe two. I'm just too nice. I can't stand it when I'm a mush. And you are right. Some of these people come to get my girls, and then they tell me that their dog killed 125 chicken's earlier this year, that they had no idea that their dog would kill a chicken! [​IMG] I just want to say, GET OUT OF MY YARD, GET AWAY FROM MY GIRLS! [​IMG]

Now I understand a few, accidents happen, but 125!! I've just spent 7 weeks of my life watching out for these girls, cleaning their little pasty bums, just to send them to their DEATH!! I can't just can't think about this. I'll get even more upset. [​IMG]

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

What kind of idiots do you have calling your place, anyway?? Good thing they were dumb enough to tell you that they have chicken killing dogs!
    [​IMG]
    I'm sorry you have to deal with them. Hang in there... the right people will call about your girls.

8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, this whole situation is sad and makes me mad. I wish I had something to offer as a solution to this problem, but I don't. Why can't people be responsible for themselves?

These are the reasons why I don't sell to the public any longer.....I deal with everything hands on, by be here or else, or first come first serve etc.... waiting for no shows is a no win / lose situation that really ruffles my feathers! [​IMG]

bigzio

9. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Well, I think I have my chicken coop I built sold. I might let that lady have 4 of these girls to fill her coop. She might have me build the run too, and I'll make sure it's safe. She was going to get 2 chickens and 2 roos. I suggested that she check out this forum and the book raising chickens. Since she didn't know that the roos wouldn't get along together and probably attack her kids eek! I think if people come here and research and ask questions, they will do well.

Here is my new Spring 2008 policy. Let me know if I need to be tougher. I'm bringing in a mix the first time in the spring. Lots of people just want a verity of chickens for their flock. I'll bring in requested breeds at other times too.

Policy: Please order only if you can pick up your chickens on the above listed date between 10am and 1pm. You may make arrangements to pick them up earlier, but not later as a new group of chickens need to go into the brooder coop. Chicken’s not picked up at that time, will be sold. Order the number of birds you would like. Breeds will go on a first come first serve basis, so come early for the best selection.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, that pisses me off too. People just don't follow though. I've had that happen so many times with things that I don't even bother going more than literally a mile to meet anyone for any sale. I say down payments are the way you'll have to go, or a "storage" fee of xx amount per day late, and after so many days, they are to the next buyer.

Edit: Yes, that sounds good especially if you have a big customer base and can sell your chicks. I say get that in writing and so there is no excuses. If someone is set on a certain mix. Make a max like 4 day hold with an associated charge too per day.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by