1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

AHHHHHHH! HELP! Just broke shell on my egg that is close to hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 19hhbelgian, Dec 1, 2009.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I was trying to situate my eggs, and wanted to double check this one particular egg because I'm not sure if the little guy quit or not. I know he's developed, but he doesn't take up the whole egg - he kind of forms a "U" in the shell, and I can't see any veining (I was going to do the water test to see if I could detect movement). As I was holding the egg, the lid slipped out of my hand, and I squeezed the egg a little too hard [​IMG] The shell crackes all over the place, but it looks like the membrane is not punctured. I set the egg on a moist warm papertowel, and have it in the bator right now. There was no movement when I inspected the membrane, and no chirping, but I could see little legs and what seemed to be feathers. The poor thing was the liveliest embryo I've ever seen develop, but When I last candled I noticed the "U" in the egg... ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I would leave it be in the bator as is. When is it due to hatch? If it's soon and it didn't hit a hard surface (by dropping), it may still make it.

3. 19hhbelgian

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    No hard surfaces... Just the squeeze reflex kicked in when I almost dropped the lid [​IMG] Should be due in about 3 days. Would he be moving around or making any noise by now if still viable?

4. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Quote:I am curious: Did the little guy make it alright?

5. 19hhbelgian

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Unfortunately I think my initial thoughts were correct... He had quit before I cracked his shell [​IMG] I actually opened the egg all the way up to see what it looked like, and he was perfectly normal, so [​IMG] I can tell you that what I did, did keep the membrane pliant, and if he hadn't quit, I don't see any reason he couldn't have made it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by