AI questions

PrincessKiara

Songster
Mar 2, 2020
Caribbean
I got a pair of adult Silkie hens right after getting a young roo. The hens never accepted him. They attack him, so I let my non bantam mutt roo mate them since my Silkie was too young anyway and they accepted him. Now that Elvis, the silkie roo, is crowing, though, I want his chicks. I'm thinking of doing AI tomorrow. However, it hasn't yet been two weeks since my hens last mated with my other roo. Does this mean some chicks will be Nugget's and some Elvis' until the two weeks are up?

I read about stroking the Roo's back and abdomen, gently squeezing the semen from the vent, collecting it and using a syringe or eyedropper to put it one inch deep in the hen's oviduct after giving her the same massage. Is this true or is there a better way?

Or should I just wait and the hens will eventually warm up to him? He runs from them rather than assert himself the way Nugget did. Elvis is about 6ish months maybe a little more. Full size and has all adult feathering.

TIA!

I got a pair of adult Silkie hens right after getting a young roo. The hens never accepted him. They attack him, so I let my non bantam mutt roo mate them since my Silkie was too young anyway and they accepted him. Now that Elvis, the silkie roo, is crowing, though, I want his chicks. I'm thinking of doing AI tomorrow. However, it hasn't yet been two weeks since my hens last mated with my other roo. Does this mean some chicks will be Nugget's and some Elvis' until the two weeks are up?

I read about stroking the Roo's back and abdomen, gently squeezing the semen from the vent, collecting it and using a syringe or eyedropper to put it one inch deep in the hen's oviduct after giving her the same massage. Is this true or is there a better way?

Or should I just wait and the hens will eventually warm up to him? He runs from them rather than assert himself the way Nugget did. Elvis is about 6ish months maybe a little more. Full size and has all adult feathering.

TIA!
The hens won't just accept him until he earns their respect. The old he gets, the more confidence he will develop.
I would remove the mutt rooster and leave him to work things out with the Silkie hens. How much space do they have? Can he get away from them if he has to? He WILL eventually win them over, especially if there is no other rooster around for the hens.

Back
Top Bottom