Ailing drake - please help

Aug 28, 2020
We have a Cayuga drake on our farm, he's about 4 months old. He'd been doing great ( already bigger than our 2yo runners and khakis), but within the last few days he's shown some concerning symptoms. I guess anytime an animal experiences symptoms suddenly, it's cause for concern. We've had high hopes for the guy as our breeding stud and we don't have another drake - not to mention, he's a cutie and we love him.

A while back, I started to notice that he'd been losing his voice. Now, when he quacks, it's very quiet and strained. This began maybe 10 days ago. Around the same time he began to limp. At first it was mild and I figured he'd improve, but today it's dramatic and he struggled to get to a spot outside and then just stayed there, even during feeding. I've been trying to administer a vitamin b complex pill, so that we can cross niacin deficiency off the list. We feed all of our birds turkey feed this time of year, since we mostly raise them and it makes feeding more convenient. We've just placed an order for duck feed and will no longer be taking the easy way out. However, I'm also not convinced it's nutritional since none of our other 20 ducks show any ailments at all.

Can someone please help us? Could these two problems be related? What should we be treating him for/with. We have a real soft spot for our duckies and it's really heartbreaking to see him limp, flop, and use his wings as a crutch all while he's straining to vocalize, but barely making a sound.

I could try to upload a video (i have to use data with very poor connection b/c no internet) but there isn't much to see. He's limping badly when he walks, can't vocalize despite trying, and mostly just sits still. He's in the duck house right now because I didn't want him moving much.

A drake will never quack, so if the bird was quacking previously, and now has lost its voice, it's a female, not a male.

As far as any sort of deficiency, like niacin, you can cross that off, as that would appear at a younger age, and is not going to paralyze the duck in just a few days.

Regardless, if he's not moving much, it would be helpful if you get a video of him.

Have you inspected both legs, for discoloration, swelling, lesions, warm spots, etc? How do his poops look? Is he eating/drinking much?

So, my partner returned home from work and together, we were able to inspect the duck more thoroughly. It turns out, one of the ankles is very swollen. Obviously, it seems quite painful for the little one. We put him in a little cat crate to limit movement for now. What else can we do to limit swelling and get him back on the right track? Last duck we had with a swollen ankle wound up losing her foot. She's ok now and gets along fine, but we'd prefer to save this guy especially since he's our only potential breeding stud..

So, my partner returned home from work and together, we were able to inspect the duck more thoroughly. It turns out, one of the ankles is very swollen. Obviously, it seems quite painful for the little one. We put him in a little cat crate to limit movement for now. What else can we do to limit swelling and get him back on the right track? Last duck we had with a swollen ankle wound up losing her foot. She's ok now and gets along fine, but we'd prefer to save this guy especially since he's our only potential breeding stud..

Were there any lesions, or sores on the swelling that you could see?

Back
Top Bottom