Ailing drake - please help

We haven't tried to manipulate it much yet. He's in a cat crate for the night (and likely for the foreseeable future) but I'll definitely be willing to test it first thing in the morning. What should I be looking for as I test the mobility of the joint?

We haven't tried to manipulate it much yet. He's in a cat crate for the night (and likely for the foreseeable future) but I'll definitely be willing to test it first thing in the morning. What should I be looking for as I test the mobility of the joint?

When you do test the joint, watch for a strong reaction of pain, and try to feel the joint, comparing it to the other good one if needed to see if anything feels off place.

More information about what you find on the physical exam will be helpful in determining the nature of his problem, but it sounds to me like he sprained/injured the joint, there could also be an infection, but just as a basic treatment, in addition to the rest, you can also soak the leg in Epsom salts every few days to help reduce some of the swelling. In addition, administering B vitamins, and omega 3's may also prove helpful.

Last edited:
When you do test the joint, watch for a strong reaction of pain, and try to feel the joint, comparing it to the other good one if needed to see if anything feels off place.

More information about what you find on the physical exam will be helpful in determining the nature of his problem, but it sounds to me like he sprained/injured the joint, there could also be an infection, but just as a basic treatment, in addition to the rest, you can also soak the leg in Epsom salts every few days to help reduce some of the swelling. In addition, administering B vitamins, and omega 3's may also prove helpful.

Thank you very much for the advice. I will try this with him tomorrow and follow up. It is very possible that one of my turkeys stepped on him during a feeding. They often stampede when it's feeding time and sometimes flatten a duck or a chicken. Though it has never injured any before, I've certainly seen a duck or two in this position.

Back
Top Bottom