Jul 25, 2019
He has been having issues breathing at night, he’s fine during the day. It has seemed as though he has been having what I can only describe as sleep apnea. What could be going on? The exotic animal vet I went to seems to be pretty clueless about chickens. I’m in Los Angeles and somehow chicken vets are near impossible to find.
I attached a link to the video of what it sounds like when you rub his chest, as well as his X-rays taken last week. The doctor said possible airsacculitis but doesn’t know more than that. Currently he is on 3ML Doxycycline a day which has been an absolute nightmare to administer, as I’m terrified of getting it down his trachea and he shakes his head relentlessly. Any tips?

- He lives in the house with us, no other chickens, and I have small dogs.
- He has had no issues eating or drinking water
- breathing problems only tend to happen at night when he’s on his roost, sleeping. It wakes him up, and sounds as if he has something like phlegm that he has to get up
- roost is cleaned and debris vaccuumed up, regularly (while he is in other room)
- he fell a year ago and so sleeps on a cushion atop a dresser, instead of sitting on a roost. Is this a problem that could be impacting things?
- eats gamebird crumbles made into mash with ACV, olive oil, and rooster booster electrolytes/vitamins, as well as seeds, canned dog food, plain Greek yogurt, blueberries
- Nares are clear
- despite the terrifying breathing at night, with gasping or “choking” sounds, he wakes up as if it never happened, every day

This is my little man who I love dearly so any help or similar experiences is appreciated.

(Also, if you know any GOOD vets experienced in chickens, in Los Angeles, I’d love a recommendation).

Attachments

• 53584966-D21B-44C7-976E-D98DC0F8FBE7.jpeg
    53584966-D21B-44C7-976E-D98DC0F8FBE7.jpeg
    524.1 KB · Views: 33
  • A2D93176-849C-476F-B102-3F3B66BB887F.jpeg
    A2D93176-849C-476F-B102-3F3B66BB887F.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 3
  • EC57AECD-5D81-4497-8904-70A01B9D8261.jpeg
    EC57AECD-5D81-4497-8904-70A01B9D8261.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 34C76EC4-AE7C-4653-B5DD-2E053DF7E2A4.jpeg
    34C76EC4-AE7C-4653-B5DD-2E053DF7E2A4.jpeg
    728.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 55CAECBA-454A-4E22-9940-87901733F716.jpeg
    55CAECBA-454A-4E22-9940-87901733F716.jpeg
    585.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 41C77CA0-D79E-4B8A-89BB-10C004E46EF2.jpeg
    41C77CA0-D79E-4B8A-89BB-10C004E46EF2.jpeg
    558.1 KB · Views: 4
He looks so cute in his cat bed🥰
Where am I supposed to be looking for the air bubbles?
How often does he get all the extra things besides his feed? The feed is good, but he may be getting too many treats and causing internal fat deposits that affect his breathing.

He looks so cute in his cat bed🥰
Where am I supposed to be looking for the air bubbles?
How often does he get all the extra things besides his feed? The feed is good, but he may be getting too many treats and causing internal fat deposits that affect his breathing.
He gets too many “non feed” treats - what should I lay off from giving as much? The X-rays do not show air bubbles, the air bubbles are heard in the video. X-rays were taken last week and vet says air sacs look “too light” in X-ray, when they are supposed to be darker, so he believes air sacculitis. I brought him in because of the night time trouble breathing. The video I posted shows my partner laying with him, rubbing his chest, and you can hear the air bubbles, or what sounds to be that. Video taken yesterday.

He gets too many “non feed” treats - what should I lay off from giving as much? The X-rays do not show air bubbles, the air bubbles are heard in the video. X-rays were taken last week and vet says air sacs look “too light” in X-ray, when they are supposed to be darker, so he believes air sacculitis. I brought him in because of the night time trouble breathing. The video I posted shows my partner laying with him, rubbing his chest, and you can hear the air bubbles, or what sounds to be that. Video taken yesterday.
I'm wondering if it's his diaphragm or pockets in the esophagus. I've never heard them make that noise.
You should lay off everything, especially the oil, dog food and seeds. Birds don't handle fat well, it gets stored around their heart and other internal organs and can eventually cause failure. Treats are for twice or three times a week, about a tablespoon or less. :]

breathing problems only tend to happen at night when he’s on his roost, sleeping. It wakes him up, and sounds as if he has something like phlegm that he has to get up

he fell a year ago and so sleeps on a cushion atop a dresser, instead of sitting on a roost.
So he doesn't roost at all?

You only hear the air bubbles when you massage the crop?
Don't massage the crop when it's full.
See that the crop is emptying overnight.

What's wrong with his legs?

Back
Top Bottom