Air Cell Gone - Sign of Quiter?

TheHalfWayCoop

Chirping
8 Years
May 6, 2011
Campbellville Ontario
Out of eight fertile eggs, two have made it to day 15, the other six simply didn't develope. One egg is doing wonderfully, it has movement and it's air cell looks lovely. The other one I dropped a couple days ago
hit.gif
Part of the shell 'shattered' but didn't break the membrane so I used clear nailpolish to seal the cracks right away. It still looked good a couple days ago, but tonight when I candled it it was all black inside, I couldn't even find an air cell anymore... does this mean it died?

My last batch of shipped eggs, I was convinced they'd all died. By day 14, there were no obvious air cells in any of them, and candling just made each egg look shadowy and murky and rather creepy looking. I couldn't see movement, I couldn't see anything, but I stuck them all into lockdown anyway. I was very surprised when 4 out of 5 hatched fine! Still can't believe I got it so wrong and thought they'd all died! Just reinforces my habit of keeping every egg with any development in it at all in my bator right to the end. I would only take out totally clear ones (on day 12) and any that smell suspect, which has been none so far...

Good luck with your odd looking little egg
smile.png

Alright we'll keep that little guys in until the end, the egg doesn't have any kind of odour (and I gave it a goooood smell over lastnight) so we'll see. I guess I was just worried because it's egg mate that *should* be the same age is quite large but moving around in it's egg and I can see an obvious air cell at the bottom, but our broody kept stealing our other hens eggs and I didn't catch it right away, so it might simply be a couple days behind! Four more days!!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom