Air Cell is too small- Should I help?

Webersome123

Chirping
7 Years
May 11, 2012
Howard County, MD
It's day 21 with my chicken eggs and air cells had been too small because of the thick shells the chickens had. I kept the humidity between 30%-40%,and bumped it up to 60% during hatching. I already lost one chick to be humidity; it ended up dying in the shell, with gummy membrane and fluids surrounding it. I'am truly desperate to hatch this last chick. Please help.

Webersome123

Chirping
7 Years
May 11, 2012
Howard County, MD
I'm sorry to say, Kathie, he died in his shell. I did the salt test and found my hydrometer was off by 30% degrees! That drowned the chicks. My air cells looked liked day 7, and I was using a crappy chickbator 9100. Good luck with your hatch!

kathie grey

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 13, 2013
Connecticut
So sorry to hear about your loss :( I have 5 sensors in my incubator ( I am more than a little obsessive) and they are all in the same range. So...I think my humidity was right. I used one of the sensors in my hatch last year and I just looked back at my pictures and I see the air cells were a little small then too. All my babies hatched...so hoping it will be ok. I didn't know enough about air cells then to worry as much as I am worrying now :) only 3 or 4 more says of anxiety left

Top Bottom