Air Cell is too small- Should I help?

Webersome123

Chirping
7 Years
May 11, 2012
Howard County, MD
It's day 21 with my chicken eggs and air cells had been too small because of the thick shells the chickens had. I kept the humidity between 30%-40%,and bumped it up to 60% during hatching. I already lost one chick to be humidity; it ended up dying in the shell, with gummy membrane and fluids surrounding it. I'am truly desperate to hatch this last chick. Please help.

I'm sorry to say, Kathie, he died in his shell. I did the salt test and found my hydrometer was off by 30% degrees! That drowned the chicks. My air cells looked liked day 7, and I was using a crappy chickbator 9100. Good luck with your hatch!

So sorry to hear about your loss :( I have 5 sensors in my incubator ( I am more than a little obsessive) and they are all in the same range. So...I think my humidity was right. I used one of the sensors in my hatch last year and I just looked back at my pictures and I see the air cells were a little small then too. All my babies hatched...so hoping it will be ok. I didn't know enough about air cells then to worry as much as I am worrying now :) only 3 or 4 more says of anxiety left

Back
Top Bottom