Air cell looks strange - day 21 call duck eggs

Please try for the clearest picture of the air cell as possible; the same as this picture, but more distinct, if you can. How far along in incubation is it? Is the egg a shipped egg?
Yes there is movement. This is the best picture I could get of the air cell.
View attachment 2940796
Is this one any better? I can try to get a better one if not. They are on day 22 now but pictures were taken on day 21, the egg was not shipped, it came from my own birds.

Candled them and noticed the air cell on one of the eggs looks a bit weird - just wondering if this is normal or if something's wrong? I can get a better picture if needed. The other eggs look normal.

View attachment 2940757
It is not unusual to have an air cell look a bit weird. It is nothing to worry about.
Have you hatched Call duck eggs before? Are your Calls short billed?

Thank you! I have not hatched Calls or any birds before. Their bills aren't very short.

IMG_3024.JPG IMG_3753.jpg

Thank you! I have not hatched Calls or any birds before. Their bills aren't very short.

View attachment 2941330View attachment 2941331
The look very nice and healthy. When the stock have short bills the ducklings frequently need assistance in hatching. This has happened so often, I just do assisted hatches with the call ducks rather than chance losing any.

Good luck with your upcoming hatch. Be prepared for an early hatch. My calls take 26 days of incubation.

A thought-your odd air cell may be the first sign of internal pipping. Candle the egg in the morning and you will likely see it is beginning.
Candling shows my call eggs to be internally pipping on day 24.

Candled the eggs today and no sign of internal pip yet, but I noticed that one egg is very light in one place which concerns me. The others are dark all the way around. This is not the one with the weird air cell.
6C857EE9-018A-435E-8C2F-6DA26423C439.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom