Air Cell on side?

chickenwhisperer

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2007
Chicken Country, U S A
The 2 batches of mixed flock eggs are lookin great, the 1st setting got 7out of 12 2week-old eggs, just completed day16 tonite and I think I can see feet and feathers in the more see thru ones.

The 2nd set are all developing nicely, 6 out of 6 for week-old eggs from the same mixed flock.
The only white egg in this set, and the easiest to see into, has the air-cell on the side of the egg.
It is developing like the others, and seems just fine, actively swimming around when candled, and good thick veins.

Im sure this has happened before to somebody, should I expect this egg to die or will it be fine?
Should I situate the egg so that the air cell is up(eggs in eggcarton in bator)?

I believe this egg is from a leghorn hen and EE rooster.

There was no shipping involved, just a 1/2hr ride in the truck . . .
There is a same white egg in the 1st setting, from the same chicken, and its totally normal, air-cell on big end.

One reason it's a good idea to rest eggs upright before putting in the bator after any travel. I also candle and set upright any eggs with lose air sacs. Eventually the air sacs will usually stop moving and that ends up being in whatever position they've been sitting. Turning eggs on their side with loose air sacs also does a lot more damage and is more likely to kill an embryo.

At this point if the air sac has stopped moving all you can do is try to make sure the air sac is up when you stop turning the eggs and get them ready for hatching. It may not stay that way but it's the best shot the chick has. If the air sac is still moving get the egg upright. Put it in a carton if you don't have a turner and tilt it. If they haven't died so far they have a good chance of still hatching even with bad air sacs. I've had many shipped eggs where the entire batch had loose air sacs and I still got a good hatch.

Back
Top Bottom