Air pocket in eggs

GDHunt

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2019
Why is my air pocket on the pointed end of the egg. I'm at day 13 and out of 12 eggs I have one with air pocket at the pointed end. This is my 4th hatching with an incubator. First time with this situation. What do I do?

That is completely normal! The air pocket is there for the chick to breath, as it is maturing in the egg. The air pocket will grow large as the chick matures, because the egg shell is semipermeable.

That is completely normal! The air pocket is there for the chick to breath, as it is maturing in the egg. The air pocket will grow large as the chick matures, because the egg shell is semipermeable.
Why is there only the one egg with air pocket at the pointed end and the rest are at the other end. All the eggs that I have hatched before the air pocket has been on the rounded end of the egg. Out of these 12 eggs there's only one with air pocket at the pointed end of the egg.

Why is there only the one egg with air pocket at the pointed end and the rest are at the other end. All the eggs that I have hatched before the air pocket has been on the rounded end of the egg. Out of these 12 eggs there's only one with air pocket at the pointed end of the egg.
Yes, I think it's odd that the air pocket is on the bottom, pointed end, of the egg too. I hope it will work itself out when you go into lockdown. I mean, I hope the chick will be positioned to get to the air. Keep us posted! :fl

Good question! @Pyxis - does the air pocket forms where the chick's head is, so it will be where the chick needs it to be? (I know NOTHING about hatching, but I want to know as much as possible about it before I even THINK about trying it!)

Yes, I think it's odd that the air pocket is on the bottom, pointed end, of the egg too. I hope it will work itself out when you go into lockdown. I mean, I hope the chick will be positioned to get to the air. Keep us posted! :fl
Just wonder of I need to put the pointed end up where the air pocket is or the pointed end down

If you are using an auto turner, then I do think you need to have the air cell on the top. If you are hand turning, then I don't think it will matter as much. How long has this egg been in the incubator?

Back
Top Bottom