Air sac question- Now Hatching!!

eschwaderer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Ohio
I'm on day 12 and I have a few eggs that somehow managed to get there air sac attached in some odd places in the egg. They were set properly after shipment to allow it to stabilize before incubation. Should these eggs be handled differently, after day 18, than a normally presenting egg (with the air sac at the large end of the egg)? Should I hatch these in egg cartons and place the egg so that the sac is at the top? One has an air sac almost completely on its side. I've only lost 1 out of 18 so far and I just want to maximize their chances.

Last edited:
I would put them on their sides. I've had some very wacky air cells from shipped eggs. some of them stretched from the bottom all the way down the sides to the top. One didn't make it but the other 6 did.

Good Luck.

Here is a pic Day 12. I outlined the eggs with the large/misplaced air sacs.

23955_img_0943b.jpg

It looks like you only have the two really bad ones. Make sure the air side is leaning up but, other than that, there is really nothing you can do but wait. I would guess they will still hatch with no problems. Good Luck
smile.png

I'm having my first hatching experience with shipped eggs and I have 3 out of 12 with air cells just like the ones you show.
Of course they have babies in them and I'm going try to position them the best I can when I take them out of the turner.
Keep us posted on how your's do and I will do the same.
Good luck!
Carolyn

First one pipped and hatched within 5 minutes of coming home from work! AND it was the one with the really wacky out air sac!
wee.gif

Mine are like this. I just put them in egg cartons inside my self-turner incubators (Janoel24). I turned off the self-turner of course. I am so excited that these will probably hatch!!! God is good! I am so excited, and the kids will be too. Will update once they are hatched and all healthy.

Mine were shipped and immediately put in the incubator. Humidity is high since I live in Louisiana. The air sacs are crazy looking. Hopefully this really doesn't matter. :jumpy:bun

Last edited:
Mine are like this. I just put them in egg cartons inside my self-turner incubators (Janoel24). I turned off the self-turner of course. I am so excited that these with probably hatch!!! God is good! I am so excited, and the kids will be too. Will update once they are hatched and all healthy.

Mine were shipped and immediately put in the incubator. Humidity is high since I live in Louisiana. The air sacs are crazy looking. Hopefully this really doesn't matter. :jumpy:bun
This thread is 11 years old so the OP may not respond to you.

Do you need help with something?

I live in Texas and the humidity is high here...
I keep the humidity in my incubator around 35% throughout incubation and I don't raise it until I see the first external pip.

What day are your eggs on?

Back
Top Bottom