Airflow - humidity & lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by midget_farms, Mar 9, 2011.

1. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    a lot of you know I built my onw bator. My first hatch was poor - about 40% 2/3 of them made it to the end then died.

It was humidity. I couldn't get it above 40 - 45% during lock down.

I changed the water system & tested & wow I can run at 80%.

The thing is - the eggs went into lock down yesterday & I had the H in the mid 70's. I came back an hour later & it was 40%.

I decided that there were too many holes - so I taped over the holes where the turner went in.

The H came up to 50% & stayed there.

I was on to something.

I blocked off all the holes - no air at all.

H jumped to over 80%. So I can control it.

I poked some small holes in some of the tape & removed some covering holes all together so I have good air - but not so much.

I was really wondering if my bator had enough air flow. It appears it has way too much air flow!

By the way - I have a pip!

2. midget_farms

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    OK - so when I woke up this morning I now have 3 large pips!

The humidity is holding between 70 - 78 depending on how close to when I add more hot water.

In any case - I have a couple of the vents open but most closed off in order to hold in the moisture.

I have 9 eggs in there now. I'm almost certain 1 is a dud though. It looked too runny at my last candling. That said - I wanted to give it a chance.

So after first candle there were 10 eggs that were good.

2 have burnt out. 3 have pipped. Lets see how the others do!!

By the way - I have aracauna and buff orp hens & they are crossed with my black silkie rooster. No idea what they will look like!

3. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    sounds like you're doing fine

4. midget_farms

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I think I finally have it figured out.

I wish I had known the airflow was killing my humidity on my first hatch. I think it cost me 2/3 of my hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by