AKC vs UKC

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ninny, Jan 1, 2009.

1. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    I am trying to dual register my lab. I have AKC papers now but would like both. Has anyone done this? What are the thoughts on the UKC?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    there are more than one UKC, make sure it is United Kennel Club, not Universal Kennel Club

3. dfunnyfarm

dfunnyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    ks
    My old dauchsund is registared Universal kennel club. My Cockerspaniels are reg AKC, 2 of my shih tzu are red CKC and the other 2 are reg ACA. I find no differences between the reg they all have Positive and Neg about them. I have never dual reg any of my dog from AKC to UKC. The only experence I have ever had with dual reg was from AKC to ACA. BTW there is nothing wrong with universal kennel club.

4. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    my dh hunts coonhounds and he only UKC .....UKC is more in the hunting breeds....and show dogs...if you were going to hunt the lab as a bird dog then you should UKC him

5. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    UKC (United Kennel Club) will accept AKC registed dogs, you just need to fill out the forms, provide his pedigree and papers and they will register him, no problem. United Kennel Club is actually the oldest dog registry in America, older then AKC and the second largest registry, only AKC is larger. It was originally for working dogs mainly, hunting, etc but is not much more into showing and companion dogs also. I have shown dogs in both AKC and UKC. I find UKC to be much friendlier and much more laid back than AKC. UKC does not allow professional handlers, you must show your own dog or a friend may do it, but you can't pay someone. The shows are smaller and the people are just friendly, they go out of their way to help new people, something that is hard to find at AKC shows. I say go for it.

6. ninny

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    I was hoping for a go a head. Both groups have sports i want to try with him.

Vicki - I was on the united kennel club website and can't find anything about dual registering. So i just send in his stuff and fill out normal registration forms?

Also i see that they allow mix breeds to compete. How would you get a number for them? Do they compete with the purebreds? Anyone done this?

We are going for tracking with the akc and dock diving and weight pull with the ukc. Maybe agility with both. Well see what he likes best.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  7. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Okay, you can do field trials under the AKC with your dog. They have specialized trials for retrievers, water and land trials, they have agility trials, coursing trials, etc.

I am not that familiar with the other two clubs. I have been to a couple of CKC shows. The one difference I have noticed is that you can also show altered animals in special classes they have.

8. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    It's a lot easier to gain a conformation championship in UKC. UKC is more laid back overall. UKC might have cheaper entry fees for what you want to do- but you will have to check that. UKC is really into dog sports and hunting like other people said.

9. ninny

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    1I found out how to register! Is their breed standards the same as the akc? I have never shown a dog before in anything. Allways had them and trained them but this will be new. Any Tips? If i posted my dogs pics could i get opinions on him? His getting fixed but im still curious. I noticed that they have something called dog sport. What is that?

10. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:I guess it varies from breed to breed, but for ours, the standards are NOT the same. But it's mainly cosmetic stuff (UKC allows a "sporting trim," which would change the face of poodle exhibition in the US if the AKC would allow it). And standard poodles are in the Gun Dog group (where they BELONG) in UKC, instead of Non-Sporting like AKC.

Some of our dogs are dual-registered, and our "Reggie" is a champion in both AKC and UKC. We find the UKC shows to be fun and laid-back, and we wish there were more shows available.

In AKC shows, to be competitive, we almost HAVE to have our dogs shown by a professional--especially the girls. I have put majors on our boy, and singles on some of our girls, but our breed is just too darned competitive and political and with high-maintenance hair.

And Labs, in AKC conformation? INSANE levels of competition. It takes TONS of dogs to make a major, and the breed ring is dominated by professionals.

UKC's "no pros" rule is a breath of fresh air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by