Alabama Egg & Chicken Festival in Moulton

nutz4critters

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
NW Alabama
I was curious if anyone on the list had been to past festivals? I emailed the coordinator for the event but have not heard back from her as yet.

If you've been to the festival in the past, do they have chickens for sale? I know the website indicates a multitude of bantams to see, but I was looking to buy some if I found some I wanted.

On the flip side, can anyone in MS or AL recommend a good place to buy quality adult chickens and/or bantams? I'd prefer northern MS or AL, but might consider other areas.

I live about halfway between Memphis and Birmingham and the only place I know of is in Ripley at their 1st Monday market.
idunno.gif

Many thanks!
M&M

Hey Nutz,
I've never been to the festival but we are planning to go this year. I think if you talk to the breeders you probably can buy birds from them. Do you know where Collinsville, Al is? It is in the eastern part of the state south (I think) of Rainsville. I can get exact directions if you need them. Every Saturday morning there is a big flea market. They have all kinds of poultry there. Lots of other animals, too. Get there early (at least before noon) as the animal sellers close early and you can get the best selection. I'm not sure what you mean by quality but most of the birds I've seen there are very well taken care of. Even if you don't find any birds you want, it is still fun to go. It takes us about 90 minutes from Huntsville.
Lisa

PLEASE be careful what you buy and who you buy from at Ripley. I know for a fact that there are sellers there selling sick birds. Also, there is the 41 flea market, or Wren and the same goes for that place too.

Hi

I know about where Collinsville is. I live 110 miles west of Birmingham, so it would be a drive. Not bad if everyone in my house is up to it.

Ripley -- well, selling sick animals isn't their only downside. They also sell stolen animals. Ask me how I know. Although if asked, the management will tell you that they have never had a stolen animal sold there. They lie.

Wren can be okay as long as you know from whom you are getting your animals. There's a guy at Wren that has too many animals in too small a space and I personally cannot stand the man. Attitude mostly.
barnie.gif

BTW, someone asked what I meant by quality. I know I'm not going to be buying show quality animals at most flea markets and places like Ripley or Wren. But I do want them to be at least purebred. I think the chickens or whatever should at least be in the same ballpark as the standard. I'd hope the critters would be clean and well nourished. Although I have some rooster chicks right now that think they are starving. I'm starving trying to feed them!
lau.gif

Thanks for the help so far -- I appreciate your advice. And the warnings, too!

Happy hatching & growing,
Mary (M&M)

Darlene Thompson is a wonderful breeder of bantams, she is in Harpersville, near Childersburg, near Birmingham. I have bought and raised several gorgeous, healthy birds from her, she loves her birds and is a very nice person to deal with. Her website is; pictureperfectpoultry something, just google that and you'll find her.

all of my current pet flock came from the Eva trade day flea market- it is a few miles off the 318 exit of I 65. Your best bet would be early sat. mornings. usually there are quite a few people selling chickens. Check them carefully tho- I had to deal with mites on a few and got a pair of bantam hens that had an upper respiratory infection. WARNING- I have also seen people selling roosters that were probably intended for cockfighting- I try not to have too much extra cash with me or I'd try to rescue all of them.
roll.png

so did anybody go to the festival-- I had to work but my best friend (also known as Othermom to the flock) went and was a little disappointed. She did come home with three new children to add to the herd tho-- 1 banty rooster and 2 hens that I think are "fluffy headed polish"? I'm not really good with the smaller breeds so I don't know- but she wants to breed them to our silkie roosters and see what hatches out.
jumpy.gif

I wanted to add that I have also heard that Ripley has a very bad reputation, and what I remember hearing was about sick and stolen animals.

Hi all I heard that Lacon Alabama had some wonderful animals but am unsure where is to be honest. Anyone have directions or information.

Back
Top Bottom