ALABAMA!!

Havent posted in a while. My birds have grown a lot. I have three hens left and two cocks. Just got my first dozen last week.
This is a new watering system im trying out. The hole in the wall has a cooler in it with a recirculator pump in it and the other side has two nesting boxes thats not getting used lol. Anyway, just wanted to hauler at you guys for a sec!

Last edited:
I'm in St Clair. We have 2 lab mix dogs, 2 Nigerian dwarf wethers, and currently 15ish chickens: 2 lavender ameraucana hens and 1 rooster, 2 black easter eggers, 3 Welsummers, 3 Buff Orpingtons (soon to get the axe), and a japanese banty who serves as our mother hen. We have a pullet that is a mix of lavender ameraucana/buff orpington and 2 little chicks just hatched this morning with the Japanese banty hen sitting on some EE and/or lavender ameraucana eggs. There may be one more chick coming, since she's still sitting on one more egg but I'll have to check when I get home. Cute little fuzzy gray chicks!

I'm in St Clair. We have 2 lab mix dogs, 2 Nigerian dwarf wethers, and currently 15ish chickens: 2 lavender ameraucana hens and 1 rooster, 2 black easter eggers, 3 Welsummers, 3 Buff Orpingtons (soon to get the axe), and a japanese banty who serves as our mother hen. We have a pullet that is a mix of lavender ameraucana/buff orpington and 2 little chicks just hatched this morning with the Japanese banty hen sitting on some EE and/or lavender ameraucana eggs. There may be one more chick coming, since she's still sitting on one more egg but I'll have to check when I get home. Cute little fuzzy gray chicks!
Hi neighbor i live between Springville and Argo. With 4 dogs- my wife has a small heard of Nubian milk goats and i keep a minagery of hens including a Lavendar aracuna hen a wellsummer some RiRs and some Black Australorps hens and pullets and a couple ducks.

Neat! I'm in Odenville. So cool that you have milk goats. Wish I could do it but with a full time job its a bit tough. :) Sad today…Lost one of our new chicks. It fell out of the nesting box and the mommy didn't want to leave the others to get that one. So I found a dead chick this morning. Live and learn I guess. Never tried to raise chicks with a momma hen. Bit of a learning curve...

Hey guys, I'm a noob from Chilton county. I've had chickens since March, started with 6 red rangers, lost 3 to a dog attack last week though. I've been trying to find some local replacements, but no luck so far.

Neat! I'm in Odenville. So cool that you have milk goats. Wish I could do it but with a full time job its a bit tough. :) Sad today…Lost one of our new chicks. It fell out of the nesting box and the mommy didn't want to leave the others to get that one. So I found a dead chick this morning. Live and learn I guess. Never tried to raise chicks with a momma hen. Bit of a learning curve...

Chicks are pretty hardy and are easy enough to raise without momma. In the past i always took the chicks away. Then brooded them for 4 or 5 weeks. I work full time and still have timeto care for them.

Hey guys, I'm a noob from Chilton county. I've had chickens since March, started with 6 red rangers, lost 3 to a dog attack last week though. I've been trying to find some local replacements, but no luck so far.

Welcome to BYC and the ALABAMA!! thread. Sorry about your loss, but it happens to everyone at one time or another.

I am reducing my population for breeding season. I will have some white-egg layers for sale if you need some. They are not particularly prolific layers, but are good foragers and have quirky personalities. I am in west Tuscaloosa county off Highway 82.

Last edited:
Thanks @A-K-Aand @Wisher1000!

My daughter wants chicks again, I already tried to convince her to let us buy some from my neighbor who has a large flock of Buff Orps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom