Alabama NPIP

Dec 17, 2023
Alabama
Is there anyone specifically in Alabama that wouldn't mind sharing how the process went? I'm looking in the future to get involved in showing and selling. I guess I'm a bit nervous about it because it seems complicated. Plus I saw if you wanted to sell hatching eggs/chicks you have to pay for a $10/year independent hatchery permit, if anybody could elaborate further on that. Is it worth it? Did you start an official business for your independent hatchery and start paying taxes?or did you just add it under "extra income" at tax time? I already have a small business, which I'm actually in the process of officially closing(something completely unrelated to animals) but I do know Alabama is a very crappy state when it comes to taxes because it's destination state. I'm planning to ask my tax lady to elaborate what I'd be looking at as well if no one has the answer here🙂

Is there anyone specifically in Alabama that wouldn't mind sharing how the process went? I'm looking in the future to get involved in showing and selling. I guess I'm a bit nervous about it because it seems complicated. Plus I saw if you wanted to sell hatching eggs/chicks you have to pay for a $10/year independent hatchery permit, if anybody could elaborate further on that. Is it worth it? Did you start an official business for your independent hatchery and start paying taxes?or did you just add it under "extra income" at tax time? I already have a small business, which I'm actually in the process of officially closing(something completely unrelated to animals) but I do know Alabama is a very crappy state when it comes to taxes because it's destination state. I'm planning to ask my tax lady to elaborate what I'd be looking at as well if no one has the answer here🙂
Every state is different, and you can google NPIP in Alabama to get their rules. In WI, it's so lax here that we do not need NPIP for anything. We have our own certification for in state sales of eggs, chicks, and exhibition, but the testing is the same. It's free for ours, but the testing is more stringent, as in every year, they all have to be tested, (or percentage if flock is over X amount) whereas for NPIP, the amt tested goes down each successfully clean year, if I'm not mistaken.

I just got tested last Saturday. She had to test all 14 adults. The chicks were under 4 months so they don't count. She charged me $20. It took about 15 minutes.

You might ask in your state thread for more from Alabama that might know specifics.

Good luck! ❤️

Every state is different, and you can google NPIP in Alabama to get their rules. In WI, it's so lax here that we do not need NPIP for anything. We have our own certification for in state sales of eggs, chicks, and exhibition, but the testing is the same. It's free for ours, but the testing is more stringent, as in every year, they all have to be tested, (or percentage if flock is over X amount) whereas for NPIP, the amt tested goes down each successfully clean year, if I'm not mistaken.

I just got tested last Saturday. She had to test all 14 adults. The chicks were under 4 months so they don't count. She charged me $20. It took about 15 minutes.

You might ask in your state thread for more from Alabama that might know specifics.

Good luck! ❤️
From what I've gathered, it's free in Alabama. I've not found much more information on it.

From what I've gathered, it's free in Alabama. I've not found much more information on it.
The tester told me she thought it was $40 if I send it in for NPIP, or free if I send it in for the "Wisconsin Tested Flock" certification. If you're seeing free, Alabama may have some other certification like we do, which would be great!

The tester told me she thought it was $40 if I send it in for NPIP, or free if I send it in for the "Wisconsin Tested Flock" certification. If you're seeing free, Alabama may have some other certification like we do, which would be great!
I will try to find out! It'd be nice to get it figured out soon so I can make plans🙂

NPIP is never worth it in any state. It's just extra red tape that also puts you and all of you customers on a government list so they can claim that your flock has Typhoid any time you are feeding more people than they want. I would recommend you avoid NPIP and its members as much as possible to make it eventually go away.

NPIP is never worth it in any state. It's just extra red tape that also puts you and all of you customers on a government list so they can claim that your flock has Typhoid any time you are feeding more people than they want. I would recommend you avoid NPIP and its members as much as possible to make it eventually go away.
I get what you're saying. That's one of my fears. Me and my husband are debating about it. We see pros and cons but way more cons the more we look into it.

Back
Top Bottom