ALABAMA!!

@GracieKatt - Welcome to Backyard Chickens and welcome to this little corner of BYC for Alabamians! For question 1, perhaps contact Auburn University or Tuskegee vet schools and maybe they can direct you. Reach out to some rural vets that see large and small animal, maybe they can help. BYC has many great resources to help you with some issues in the event you cannot find a good avian vet off hand.

As for your other questions, I recommend posting them in the injury/disease/illness forum section for some better input. You may want to describe the symptoms of these chicks in detail and possibly include photos and/or video.
I’m trying to figure out how to find vets in my area who see chickens, but I’m…BAD at the internet. Like not quite Johnny-Lawrence-bad-at-the-internet but still pretty bad!

As an update, I’ve reached out and emailed Alabama vet board to try and find poultry vets and I will email Tuskegee and Auburn later on
The nearest vet I've found willing to treat chickens is just over the state line in TN. But since you're in S AL that doesn't help you I guess. Let me know if the AL vet board comes back with anything in North Alabama. Cause I could find a thing.

Anyone in Huntsville area interested in a frizzle hen?
Her back and wings are currently near bare, but she's otherwise healthy, friendly, and a decent olive egg layer (under 2 years old). As long as she's kept away from roosters/feather eaters, she'll end up with a nice set of feathers after the next molt. I'm just not fond of the look or fragileness of frizzle feathering (she came from mystery egg, didn't intentionally get her) and generally she doesn't fit in with what I need with my flock. I understand if most people would want to wait to see her fill in again, but I figure no harm in checking if someone would want her now.

20220521_170929.jpg
Pic shortly after dirt bathing.

Anyone in Huntsville area interested in a frizzle hen?
Her back and wings are currently near bare, but she's otherwise healthy, friendly, and a decent olive egg layer (under 2 years old). As long as she's kept away from roosters/feather eaters, she'll end up with a nice set of feathers after the next molt. I'm just not fond of the look or fragileness of frizzle feathering (she came from mystery egg, didn't intentionally get her) and generally she doesn't fit in with what I need with my flock. I understand if most people would want to wait to see her fill in again, but I figure no harm in checking if someone would want her now.

View attachment 3117726
Pic shortly after dirt bathing.
I love her! But I can't give her a home right now - still getting the run/coop set up and integrating two flocks. Check back with me in about two months if you haven't found her a home, I'd love for her to join my flock. I have some orpingtons and green/olive layers she'd probably get along well with, but I need my flock to integrate and settle down first.

Back
Top Bottom