ALABAMA!!

Lost a chick today one today one of the sweet rsl's. Decided to put the chickens in the pen for a little while. Well we have a piece of plywood propped up against the side of the coop we hadn't screwed in. Well one of the chicks bumped it and it fell over and on top of one of the babies. She didn't make it. Poor little DD was so upset.
I would have cried. So sorry.
hit.gif

Those silkies are beautiful! Very excited to see updated pictures! My husband and I are looking for a midsized dual purpose gentle breed (we have a child) it's been very difficult to find anything like the wyandottes etc close by. We have a coop of free ranging silkies and a desperate of teenage jersey giants. Should we just hold out until the Moulton festival? We still want interesting birds. We love our chickens..I have an oil painting degree, so I love to make paintings of my chicks and eggs. :) does anyone know if the festival is a good place to good interesting chicks? Or should I keep stopping and knocking on doors when I see a pretty hen? I'm cool with either ;)

He's so handsome. That green sheen when he walks in the sun... :love I hope he learns to keep his mouth shut :lol:
Good luck with that My DD's have decided they want to farmers. The oldest wants a horse and the youngest wants a cow and they both want chickens and pigs. The youngest declared we won't have to buy food if we live on a farm we can just eat the animals. Lol got to love them.

Hello! I'm a noob here, but had chickens in FFA in high school (I'm going to be 41 in July, lol). I live in Smiths Station, Alabama ( Where's that? EXACTLY!) Just looking around for general help and answers with our new adventure. I sort of bought 3 Cinnamon Queen chicks last week. I say sort of bc the lady rang up everything EXCEPT the chicks, ;-); have to go back tomorrow to pay for them, lol, bc I'm a nice person...
Anyway, i got them Thursday, fibbed to the hubby, ie., Easter is coming, each for the girls, one of them is for you, you love fresh brown eggs, I just paid $489.for your new front tires, I'm allowed 3 family.chickens, yada, yada, yada...Anyway, I went back Friday for water and food bottoms for my diapenser jars and she was having an issue with Cochin.& Silkie Bantams dropping like flies. I went through ALL of them and gave each one a listen and sorted by "crackle" vs non-crackle. I brought 5 home to treat with Baytril. Two died day one (the two I paid for, oc) but, the other three (1 cochin, 2 black silkie) are just plugging alone.
The only thing I have noticed is that the runt (smallest Black) gasps. Every breath. No matter what. It peeps on every other breath and will purr occasionally, but no matter what, it gasps on every breath. Now, this isn't a regular gasp, this looks like my Amazon or one of my cockatiels when they are adjuating their crop (looks like a classic yawn, right down.to the head shake on a really long huge yawn, short of like the one you are doing right now while reading this...

Any ideas?

Welcome, Thunder! We are glad to have you here with us. I think the chicks are too young for gape worm, but nothing else comes to mind. Maybe someone else will weigh in. I hate that you are having problems this early in the game. Don't give up. It is just a stroke of bad luck and can't last long. Good luck and again
welcome-byc.gif

BTW - you are half way between Opalika and Phoenix City on 431, right?

Last edited:
I am so excited! Tomorrow my new baby royal palm turkeys will be here with 5 new ee's! I can hardly wait to see them!
Our coop is coming along so that we will be able to move our black aussies out to the coop and make room for our next batch of black spanish turkeys and another 5 chicks to arrive on the 1st!
We will have a 8x10 coop just for the hens (that's nearly 100 sq feet) and a 4x10 coop for abt. 3 roosters with their own run. And on the back side of the roosters coop we will be adding two separate coops and runs just for the turkeys!

Last edited:
Matt here from Dora Alabama. New to raising chicks and looking for some hens that are already laying. I have 8 chicks and a large coop. Need a few older hens till my chicks get grown. If anyone knows where I may get some let me know. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom