ALABAMA!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Michael_K, Jan 14, 2008.

1. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Good luck Razadia!

2. huntinwidow

huntinwidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Warrior Alabama
    My Coop
    No phone no internet. Random wifi during the day. Att says maybe by Fri. [​IMG]
    Thing is, I still had phone after the storm, only lost it when they started to work on the lines.
    Thankful still have power though. I have eggs in lockdown.

3. Bama1

Bama1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    DeKalb County, Alabama
    x2

4. RoosterFish

RoosterFish Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Jasper, Alabama
    Still no power, eggs that were on lock down are gone, barn roof gone, but family and animals are alive and well . Trees will grow back roof will get repaired power will come back on and chickens will give us more eggs to put in incubator life is wonderful . If anyone is hungry I'm fixing to fire up the grill and cook a freezer full of food ....

5. BSisco

BSisco Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Cullman, AL
    So sorry about your eggs, but so thankful y'all are ok!!!!! We still have no power either, but it seems to be coming back online fairly quickly all around us and the power guy said hopefully this afternoon.... Crossing my fingers.... We went and got dry ice yesterday for our fridge and freezer so at least we saved several hundred dollars there. Good luck and stay safe.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I've just caught up on the forum after my week or so of forgeting to jump over to the AL thread. I'm glad to hear that everyone seems to have weathered the storms fairly well.
    Its been a busy week for me. I had 10 ducklings hatch about 9 days ago. My 3.5 month old muscovy are starting to feel their hormones and/or fly and some JG or JG/BO cross eggs hatched about 6 days ago. I had a job interview Monday, finally. And should be starting next week.

Momma hen only managed to hatch out 5, 2 shrink wrapped and died. I got her 5 foster black JG at TSC. All has been going well, though I had to put her in a pen because she kept going to nests and setting on eggs with her babies in tow. I have yet to get a decent pic of all of the babies. But here are 2 of her 5. 2 are dark with tan heads and 3 are blue, 1 with tan face, 1 with different tan marking and 1 possibly an actual pure JG. The funny thing is I went to a genetics website and it said if I crossed a blue roo with a buff hen, I'd get black or blue babies.

[​IMG]

And here are the 5 fosters before they went out to mom.
    [​IMG]

I also built an incubator about 3 weeks ago and put some extra eggs in there, 36 to be exact. (Neighbor's dog killed one of my BOs about a month ago and my other one does not seem to feel the need to go broody. So, I figured I'll see what hatches. I'm HORRIBLE at candling, the eggs are all brown and a few green EE thrown in. I candled at day 8, and took one out that I thought was not viable and found a little chick embryo inside that looked good. I don't think my flashlight is strong enough and I don't want to kill anymore viable eggs. I'm going to take out any light or sloshy eggs at lockdown. They are due to hatch Monday.

I need a nap.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  7. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I'm still alive! I felt horrible when I left the office, but a banana and a huge gala apple later I'm ok. I'm about to eat a late lunch and chug down some more sweet tea. I really missed caffeine.

8. Tomtommom

Tomtommom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL
    I remember those tests... ick. Glad you're done.

Took the baby to have his hearing tested again and hearing aid molding done. 3 weeks til he gets 'em. Kinda excited.. wonder what kind of difference there will be, if any.

The chickens are adjusting well to the coop, although one of the rocks was raising hell because he light wasn't on in their 'bedroom' (fiance was using the extention cord to work on the coop), spoiled brat. LOL I put them up at night and let them down in the morning, although they're starting to figure out how to get down.. getting up is NOT happening yet. I was amazed, one of my stripey birds FLEW down, gracefully. I have no idea what they are, but they're very self-sufficient little birds... knew how to dustbathe when they were 1-2 weeks old.. they can actually fly, not just flap to break their fall.

It's all coming together. Hooray!

9. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    You might be surprised at what he will be able to hear after he gets his hearing aids. Now getting him to leave them in might be a whole other story!

So happy that your babies are liking their new home!
    I can hardly wait till I get get my chicks in their new home also. lol

10. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Pictures?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by