ALABAMA!!

Another snake lost it's life tonight. It got another of my boys. It somehow got past the lime. Dad had just checked on them 20 mins before Blu and I went to check all the pens. The remaining 3 are now in the house in a pet carrier. Funny thing is, one of the boys decided to try his hand at crowing while we caught the snake. Dad isn't getting out of building the snake proof cage tomorrow. Even if I have to act like I'm starting on it just to make him do it.

Two snakes in two days. I read an article in the newspaper the other day saying that the population hadn't gone up. I wonder what they'd say about this?
Shivvveeerrrhhh at those blasted snakes and shaking with fury over you losing those llittle babies. So glad you brought them inside!
I was wondering how you are set up....are they coming in at the bottom of the wire, under a hole, climbing up the fence, dropping down from above? I know, lots of questions....I been trying to move everything I can away from fence lines and around pens to give them fewer places to hide. By what you are saying, they work at night? Where are those owls, hawks, bats, barnyard cats when you need them?
barnie.gif
How will he make it secure? Hardware cloth? By chance, do you have pictures? I'm glad you were pro-active and de-activated that snake!

Will give that a shot :)

I really need to head to the mill in Wilsonville... they apparently carry organic feed they make themselves. Surely they've got something with some decent protein in it too.

All TSC has is Dumor and Purina. Dumor makes them stink and Purina is all 'yay no animal proteins'... Perhaps time to start mealworm farming. I can't afford to give them scrambled eggs every day
lol.png
They should have something for you. I know we went to three counties trying to find some decent feed! It is terrible! There is a feed mill in Demopolis but they told me they did not make chicken feed? Crazy!

Another snake lost it's life tonight. It got another of my boys. It somehow got past the lime. Dad had just checked on them 20 mins before Blu and I went to check all the pens. The remaining 3 are now in the house in a pet carrier. Funny thing is, one of the boys decided to try his hand at crowing while we caught the snake. Dad isn't getting out of building the snake proof cage tomorrow. Even if I have to act like I'm starting on it just to make him do it.

Two snakes in two days. I read an article in the newspaper the other day saying that the population hadn't gone up. I wonder what they'd say about this?
Razadia, the only other thing I can think of is Guineas are a natural predator of snakes!

I'm wondering too! Raz, about exactly how you'd make the coop snake proof. My hardware cloth is buried bout 8-12 inches but I am under a tree so they could drop down and they could climb over.

And I'm wondering about great feed. My girls are right at 11 weeks. They've gotten Dumors so far but I just bought a bag of purinas grower. I don't like that the Dumors crumbles winds up being mostly dust at the end of the day. Isn't that bad for their respiratory tract? I'd love to be able to get them great food that was somehow relatively affordable too. That might be a pipe dream.

Will give that a shot :)

I really need to head to the mill in Wilsonville... they apparently carry organic feed they make themselves. Surely they've got something with some decent protein in it too.

All TSC has is Dumor and Purina. Dumor makes them stink and Purina is all 'yay no animal proteins'... Perhaps time to start mealworm farming. I can't afford to give them scrambled eggs every day
lol.png

I ran out of feed and got some Dumor at Walmart. It is really crappy food. Bought some scratch too which I didn't like as well.

Let me know how you like the feed in Wilsonville.

Last edited:
Quote:
Shivvveeerrrhhh at those blasted snakes and shaking with fury over you losing those llittle babies. So glad you brought them inside!
I was wondering how you are set up....are they coming in at the bottom of the wire, under a hole, climbing up the fence, dropping down from above? I know, lots of questions....I been trying to move everything I can away from fence lines and around pens to give them fewer places to hide. By what you are saying, they work at night? Where are those owls, hawks, bats, barnyard cats when you need them?
barnie.gif
How will he make it secure? Hardware cloth? By chance, do you have pictures? I'm glad you were pro-active and de-activated that snake!

Quote:
Razadia, the only other thing I can think of is Guineas are a natural predator of snakes!
I'm working on getting them. I'm not the only person in my house that wants Guineas. Mom overrules everyone and she wants them more than I do. She'd rather pay for feed than buy poison to put in the yard.
I'm wondering too! Raz, about exactly how you'd make the coop snake proof. My hardware cloth is buried bout 8-12 inches but I am under a tree so they could drop down and they could climb over.

And I'm wondering about great feed. My girls are right at 11 weeks. They've gotten Dumors so far but I just bought a bag of purinas grower. I don't like that the Dumors crumbles winds up being mostly dust at the end of the day. Isn't that bad for their respiratory tract? I'd love to be able to get them great food that was somehow relatively affordable too. That might be a pipe dream.

The cage they were in was only meant to be temporary. I don't like where it's at or the fact that the wire is just plain old chicken wire. The wire in the bottom is what we plan to use on the one we're building, though it could be a bit smaller than that. I think our extra wire is 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch. If that fails, I have an old trampoline net that can be cut up and put over that. Then there's the fact that it's between the garage and the pump house with a tree overhead. So here are the pics so you can see everything that's wrong. You can't even see the lime anymore.

Hello from north Alabama (Madison County).
I'm new to chickens but my first flock is doing great: 2 Buff Orp's, 2 EE's, 2 RIR and 2 Plymouth Barred Rocks.
They are 13 weeks now and BIG.
I have a question hopefully someone in Alabama can answer.
I got my daughter 3 little Silkies which are now 1 month old. They are in a dog cage within the chicken run so they can get to know each other safely.
Will I be able to add these little guys to my flock of big girls eventually? I mean, does anyone have experience mixing Silkies with standard breeds?
I can't seem to find info about this!

I'm new to chickens but my first flock is doing great: 2 Buff Orp's, 2 EE's, 2 RIR and 2 Plymouth Barred Rocks.
I got my daughter 3 little Silkies which are now 1 month old. They are in a dog cage within the chicken run so they can get to know each other safely.
Will I be able to add these little guys to my flock of big girls eventually? I mean, does anyone have experience mixing Silkies with standard breeds?
welcome-byc.gif
and the Alabama thread!
It happens all the time and most people don't bat an eyelash at it. There are also plenty of people that mix standard and bantam chickens into their flock with no problems.

I don't see why not...

Back
Top Bottom