ALABAMA!!

Hello from north Alabama (Madison County).
I'm new to chickens but my first flock is doing great: 2 Buff Orp's, 2 EE's, 2 RIR and 2 Plymouth Barred Rocks.
They are 13 weeks now and BIG.
I have a question hopefully someone in Alabama can answer.
I got my daughter 3 little Silkies which are now 1 month old. They are in a dog cage within the chicken run so they can get to know each other safely.
Will I be able to add these little guys to my flock of big girls eventually? I mean, does anyone have experience mixing Silkies with standard breeds?
I can't seem to find info about this!
Hello and Welcome to BYC from Perry Co!

There's a feed store in Columbiana, called M&R or something, there's a co-op on 70 and there's the store in Wilsonville... I will find something affordable. I'd hate to keep paying $18-20 for 50 lbs of fairly inferior food.. bulk seems like it would be cheaper.

In other news, spent the night in a trauma room with my momma. She hadn't been feeling good and was coughing a bunch yesterday. Got real bad at night so I rushed her to the ER. Her oxygen was down to 75. Pneumonia and COPD flare-up.

They're keeping her a few days... she was supposed to fly back tomorrow.
roll.png

Never ends, does it?

Creepy enough, they're putting her in the same ward as my mother-in-law passed away at 3 weeks ago. Eerie, for sure. But, she's in much better shape. Still weird though, sitting in the dark staring at the monitor, like we did 3 weeks ago. Only now we're watching blood oxygen levels rise, instead of fall.

*shiver*

Those nurses are going to be so confused why we're there again.

My poor momma has been on an ER bed since midnight... they didn't have any beds open in the ICU... they're finally just bringing her to intermediate care, since she's not THAT serious.

There's a feed store in Columbiana, called M&R or something, there's a co-op on 70 and there's the store in Wilsonville... I will find something affordable. I'd hate to keep paying $18-20 for 50 lbs of fairly inferior food.. bulk seems like it would be cheaper.

In other news, spent the night in a trauma room with my momma. She hadn't been feeling good and was coughing a bunch yesterday. Got real bad at night so I rushed her to the ER. Her oxygen was down to 75. Pneumonia and COPD flare-up.

roll.png

Never ends, does it?

Creepy enough, they're putting her in the same ward as my mother-in-law passed away at 3 weeks ago. Eerie, for sure. But, she's in much better shape. Still weird though, sitting in the dark staring at the monitor, like we did 3 weeks ago. Only now we're watching blood oxygen levels rise, instead of fall.

*shiver*

My poor momma has been on an ER bed since midnight... they didn't have any beds open in the ICU... they're finally just bringing her to intermediate care, since she's not THAT serious.
God Bless you! So much on ones plate! Praying for you and your family Tomtom!
hugs.gif

Hello from north Alabama (Madison County).
I'm new to chickens but my first flock is doing great: 2 Buff Orp's, 2 EE's, 2 RIR and 2 Plymouth Barred Rocks.
They are 13 weeks now and BIG.
I have a question hopefully someone in Alabama can answer.
I got my daughter 3 little Silkies which are now 1 month old. They are in a dog cage within the chicken run so they can get to know each other safely.
Will I be able to add these little guys to my flock of big girls eventually? I mean, does anyone have experience mixing Silkies with standard breeds?
I can't seem to find info about this!
Welcome Robinsong! I'm just next door to you over in Limestone County. I don't actually have chickens yet but I will as soon as our coop is finished. As to your question - as long as the silkies are old enough to be with the rest of the flock, I don't think you should have any issues other than what you would have integrating any newer, younger birds into a flock, regardless of breed. If it were me, I would make sure to do it on a day when you can spend some time supervising them all to see how they all react to each other. That way, if any bad behavior starts you can intervene to avoid any injuries.

roll.png

Never ends, does it?

*shiver*

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she feel better soon.
hugs.gif

Thank you so much! I've asked that questions countless times on different Silkie threads with no answer. You are the first. I appreciate it!
Hello and Welcome Robinsong. I'm in Taft, Lincoln County, Tn just a few miles from you. I have bantams, large fowl and silkies all together. Mine are about the same age as yours, mine are 15 weeks old that I raised from chicks. Mine have all been together since day 1 and I haven't had any problems.

only problem I've had mixing banties with bigger chickens is the banty roosters think they weigh 40 pounds and can whip the yard rooster....
Wow, so apparently even chickens can suffer from a Napolean complex! My small dog does too...he's no more than a foot tall but thinks he's the biggest, baddest dog around. His name is Hercules and it is SO fitting.

Back
Top Bottom