ALABAMA!!

Chirp, I have a question can you still eat the eggs when using wazine? I think you can't with the valbazen but I can't remember on the wazine.
Hey Henny,
Wazine, waste eggs 10 days....You don't won't to boil/mash those eggs and feed back to hens or a dog, just in case their is tape worm eggs hanging out.
sickbyc.gif
Nor do you want to incubate these eggs, because, trust me, they will hatch and sometimes you have a nice one in there and a dead chick!!!

On day 11, go to Valbazen, this is a gentle wormer, it would be Ok to incubate these eggs, and I have....... succesfully. (healthy chicks)....... or boil, mash and feed back to chicks or dogs, I haven't. Be sure to contact your vet to make sure there are no sensitivity and other issues if feeding to dogs etc...

On Valbazen, waste eggs for 14 days! (Or incubate) as stated above.

It is OK to reworm with Valbazen in 10 days if infestation is heavy/still present. Continue with above steps. (Tape worms present in feces) This should be sufficient and future procedure will only need one round of Valbazen. Just remember to switch it up with SafeGaurd next year.

Ex: Valbazen......Valbazen (1st year)
Valbazen......SafeGaurd (2nd year)
SafeGaurd....Valbazen (3rd year)
Valbazen....Valbazen (4th year)
etc.

The only thing I know that is claimed safe to eat eggs on a treatment is dosing adults hens with a "bump" of Corid if you have had an outbreak of cocci, in another pen/area, or possible cross contamination with broody Mom's and Peepers. Different type of med than wormer. Your own judgement call though. Alot of folks do.

That's why it is so important to mark your calendar to worm pre/post molt, (twice a year in our area) so you don't lose so many eggs.

Please let me know if this helps or you need add'l info. Thanks, Chirp!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
It was a person Tomtom. Only a person could have opened and closed back my wire fence and trapped a rooster in there. And they moved a heavy piece of tin.
But 30 min. ago two men and a young lady came to my door wanting to buy my chickens. They could not speak much english. And I asked if roosters was ok, he said yes.
I asked my DH and we sold them 2 roosters. I have never seen these people before. They just saw my birds and stopped to see if I would sell them some.

That seems a little fishy.. Well, if it was them, atleast they did the right thing this time around.

Quick question for all you Alabama folks, especially those who grew up here or somewhere in the south -- do you worry about your chickens getting into poke weed? That dang stuff has recently taken over my compost area which is adjacent to my garden and the soon to be chicken run. I grew up eating it scrambled up in eggs (even though I don't care for it as an adult) and I know the leaves (if not properly prepared) are toxic to mammals, especially the berries, but since wild birds eat them with no ill effect can I assume if the chickens get ahold of any it will not harm them? I really want to let them free range in my compost area for obvious reasons but wonder if I have to try to eradicate the poke first. Thanks!!!

Quick question for all you Alabama folks, especially those who grew up here or somewhere in the south -- do you worry about your chickens getting into poke weed? That dang stuff has recently taken over my compost area which is adjacent to my garden and the soon to be chicken run. I grew up eating it scrambled up in eggs (even though I don't care for it as an adult) and I know the leaves (if not properly prepared) are toxic to mammals, especially the berries, but since wild birds eat them with no ill effect can I assume if the chickens get ahold of any it will not harm them? I really want to let them free range in my compost area for obvious reasons but wonder if I have to try to eradicate the poke first. Thanks!!!

Pokeweed has no known toxins that effect chickens. Other livestock should be kept from it though!

Hey Henny,
Wazine, waste eggs 10 days....You don't won't to boil/mash those eggs and feed back to hens or a dog, just in case their is tape worm eggs hanging out.
sickbyc.gif
Nor do you want to incubate these eggs, because, trust me, they will hatch and sometimes you have a nice one in there and a dead chick!!!

On day 11, go to Valbazen, this is a gentle wormer, it would be Ok to incubate these eggs, and I have....... succesfully. (healthy chicks)....... or boil, mash and feed back to chicks or dogs, I haven't. Be sure to contact your vet to make sure there are no sensitivity and other issues if feeding to dogs etc...

On Valbazen, waste eggs for 14 days! (Or incubate) as stated above.

It is OK to reworm with Valbazen in 10 days if infestation is heavy/still present. Continue with above steps. (Tape worms present in feces) This should be sufficient and future procedure will only need one round of Valbazen. Just remember to switch it up with SafeGaurd next year.

Ex: Valbazen......Valbazen (1st year)
Valbazen......SafeGaurd (2nd year)
SafeGaurd....Valbazen (3rd year)
Valbazen....Valbazen (4th year)
etc.

The only thing I know that is claimed safe to eat eggs on a treatment is dosing adults hens with a "bump" of Corid if you have had an outbreak of cocci, in another pen/area, or possible cross contamination with broody Mom's and Peepers. Different type of med than wormer. Your own judgement call though. Alot of folks do.

That's why it is so important to mark your calendar to worm pre/post molt, (twice a year in our area) so you don't lose so many eggs.

Please let me know if this helps or you need add'l info. Thanks, Chirp!
thumbsup.gif
That was perfect! Thanks for explaining it out as to what the schedule should be. I appreciate it a lot. Sounds good to me!

Hey Henny, Wazine, waste eggs 10 days....You don't won't to boil/mash those eggs and feed back to hens or a dog, just in case their is tape worm eggs hanging out.
sickbyc.gif
Nor do you want to incubate these eggs, because, trust me, they will hatch and sometimes you have a nice one in there and a dead chick!!! On day 11, go to Valbazen, this is a gentle wormer, it would be Ok to incubate these eggs, and I have....... succesfully. (healthy chicks)....... or boil, mash and feed back to chicks or dogs, I haven't. Be sure to contact your vet to make sure there are no sensitivity and other issues if feeding to dogs etc... On Valbazen, waste eggs for 14 days! (Or incubate) as stated above. It is OK to reworm with Valbazen in 10 days if infestation is heavy/still present. Continue with above steps. (Tape worms present in feces) This should be sufficient and future procedure will only need one round of Valbazen. Just remember to switch it up with SafeGaurd next year. Ex: Valbazen......Valbazen (1st year) Valbazen......SafeGaurd (2nd year) SafeGaurd....Valbazen (3rd year) Valbazen....Valbazen (4th year) etc. The only thing I know that is claimed safe to eat eggs on a treatment is dosing adults hens with a "bump" of Corid if you have had an outbreak of cocci, in another pen/area, or possible cross contamination with broody Mom's and Peepers. Different type of med than wormer. Your own judgement call though. Alot of folks do. That's why it is so important to mark your calendar to worm pre/post molt, (twice a year in our area) so you don't lose so many eggs. Please let me know if this helps or you need add'l info. Thanks, Chirp!
thumbsup.gif
That was perfect! Thanks for explaining it out as to what the schedule should be. I appreciate it a lot. Sounds good to me!
yw!!

Back
Top Bottom