ALABAMA!!

I've had Easter Eggers for 3 years now. I love their eggs.
I decided to raise up some broiler chickens for the freezer and canning. I dove in head first and bought 100 chicks back in June. I had also bought Rhode Island Red chicks and Buff Orphingtons so I wouldn't have to buy the broilers in the future. Let the RIR and Buffs do all the chick raising. It has been a really big chore processing those broilers. Several broilers had died and I ended up with 75 to put in the freezer. I am down to the last 15. I never want to do that many at one time again. They are always hungry and they grew up really fast. I called them the Monster Chicks. Now they are Monster chickens. They would all stand on top of each other at the fence gate all day waiting to get fed. There was so many of them flocking to the feed trays that I couldn't get the feed into the trays. I had them in a 75ftx75ft fenced area. I had to throw feed outside the gate and let them run outside the fenced area so I could get into the fenced area to fill their feeding trays and then let them back in to eat. Crazy!!!Monster chickens. They are the same age as the RIR and the Buffs but they are twice their size. The meat taste good and the broth is rich compared to the big farm processed broilers. Anyway..I have really had my hands full taking care of chickens all summer. I didn't want all the breeds running together . I have been reconstructing an old horse barn with stalls into chicken coops and chicken runs to keep the breeds seperated. Now I also have the French Black Copper Marans in hopes to breed one of the rooster with an Easter Egger to get Olive Eggers. As mentioned before, I have too many black copper maran roosters. I don't know what to do with them. They were so exspensive. I can't bare the thought of putting them in the freezer. They seem too important to do that. (once endangered). But looks like I might have to.
In Addition to the RIR, Buffs, EE, and FBCM, mcmurry sent me a free chick. I know why it was free. It's a rooster and they give away a free rooster with the orders cause they don't know what to do with all those roosters either. It turned out to be a Silver Gray Dorking (5 toes )rooster. He doesn't have a Hen to share his life with. I don't know how hard it will be to find a Silver Gray Dorking Hen.....or maybe trade him off for something I need.(no idea)
Now I have to take care of all these chickens for their first winter. Fun. At least we don't have hard winters. I love to see the snow flurries when they come but so glad it doesn't pile up deep but I wouldn't be sad if it did. It doesn't last long.

24 french black copper marans= 16 roosters and 8 hens
10 rhode island reds= 2 rooster and 8 hens
9 buff orpingtons = 1 rooster and 8 hens
9 easter eggers= 1 rooster and 8 hens (one hatched 5 chicks this week)
1 Silver Gray Dorking rooster.
and 15 broilers to finish off

If you can't stand the thought of processing them, offer them for sale as cheaply as you can. Understand, though that they are still just chickens and are food. If you sell or give them away, they still may end up in a pot. Why not make it yours? I encourage you to get an SOP and use the APA guidelines to select the best one (or two) to keep. It will also help with the others you are raising. I would take them all, but I don't need them bad enough to drive to pick them up, besides, I would only need one or two myself............

24 week old Easter Egger Rooster. Beautiful colors. Free to good home. I am located in Mobile, AL. Anyone interested?

I have a gorgeous pair of Indian Runner ducks from Holderread lines that were hatched out of eggs from Moose Manor Farms in Maryland. The drake is lavender pencil, and the duck is brown pencil. These guys are very friendly, comical and entertaining. They are breeding age and should start producing eggs later this fall which is what the breed is known for. I have decided to keep the Welsh Harlequins which are also beautiful friendly birds.

Both breeds are just lovely, but along with the pastel call ducks and sebbies, I am cutting back to have only one standard breed duck. I am NPIP certified and located in Calera. $40 for the pair.

Last edited:
I have some silkies for sale! I have two cockerel's, and some chicks!! the chicks are 5$ a piece, and one of the roos is 30$ and the other is 50$ the came from breeder lines! this is the black roo, he is about 6 months 50$ and this is the blue cockerel, (30$) he is about 7 months the chicks are about 1 week old (5$) most of them are blue. this one just happens to be black. lol neither of the roos have started to crow yet, but I have seen them mount some of the older hens. local pick up or can meet if its not to far away. feel free to pm me for any other questions!
Do you still have any of the chicks left? I've been looking for some silkies a while now, I might just get one or two Chickie's :) I hope you have some left, I'm excited !! :D

Back
Top Bottom