ALABAMA!!

Do you just do a feed mix, or the layer pellets?

I buy Layena pellets, but just because they're cheaper than the other. They've done well on it, and they don't stink as bad as my chicks on DuMor (DuMor is wellknown for causing seriously stinky birds
lol.png
). I bought DuMor for my 2 chicks since it came in much smaller bags. The Purina comes in 50lbs only (40lbs if you get the Omega3 stuff).

I've noticed the chicks don't seem to be growing as fast as the ones I raised on Flockstarter.. but that may also be because I now have adult birds to compare to.

If you buy a mix specifically for chickens it's hard to go wrong. As long as you don't feed them corn or scratch as their main diet, you're ok. Scraps of fruits and veg that you have left are always welcome (melon seeds and peels, apple cores, carrot tops etc.) They love being able to scrounge up some bugs and nibble at your weeds and grass. A scrambled egg every now and again or a bowl of oatmeal... They're really quite easy to care for.

Oh, and whatever your chickens might try to tell you, styrofoam is not a good snack
wink.png
(they WILL eat it, and lots of it, if they can)

I buy Layena pellets, but just because they're cheaper than the other. They've done well on it, and they don't stink as bad as my chicks on DuMor (DuMor is wellknown for causing seriously stinky birds :lol: ). I bought DuMor for my 2 chicks since it came in much smaller bags. The Purina comes in 50lbs only (40lbs if you get the Omega3 stuff).

I've noticed the chicks don't seem to be growing as fast as the ones I raised on Flockstarter.. but that may also be because I now have adult birds to compare to.

If you buy a mix specifically for chickens it's hard to go wrong. As long as you don't feed them corn or scratch as their main diet, you're ok. Scraps of fruits and veg that you have left are always welcome (melon seeds and peels, apple cores, carrot tops etc.) They love being able to scrounge up some bugs and nibble at your weeds and grass. A scrambled egg every now and again or a bowl of oatmeal... They're really quite easy to care for.

Oh, and whatever your chickens might try to tell you, styrofoam is not a good snack ;) (they WILL eat it, and lots of it, if they can)

We use Purina as well and if you sign up on the site posted on the bag they send you coupons via E-mail quarterly! I blend my food 2 50lb bags of Layena, 1lb sunflower mix seeds, 2 bags of Ultrakibble which I'm not sure if it's just me but when you feed your chickens this stuff their poops are semisoft and easy to clean up plus some vitamin pellets, then I put them in food grade 5gal buckets as I stir everything add food grade DE. The chickens have free access to grit and oyster shell in a double bowl horse livestock feeder. I give them veggies, fruits be sure to cut off moldy bad parts and they love spaghetti when I have couple day old left overs, we use a lot of veggies in our sauce. They run around eating grass and bugs, toads and field mice. With all this our chickens seem very healthy, they get upset if they don't get their veggie treats and when I process my chickens they are so meaty.

We use Purina as well and if you sign up on the site posted on the bag they send you coupons via E-mail quarterly! I blend my food 2 50lb bags of Layena, 1lb sunflower mix seeds, 2 bags of Ultrakibble which I'm not sure if it's just me but when you feed your chickens this stuff their poops are semisoft and easy to clean up plus some vitamin pellets, then I put them in food grade 5gal buckets as I stir everything add food grade DE. The chickens have free access to grit and oyster shell in a double bowl horse livestock feeder. I give them veggies, fruits be sure to cut off moldy bad parts and they love spaghetti when I have couple day old left overs, we use a lot of veggies in our sauce. They run around eating grass and bugs, toads and field mice. With all this our chickens seem very healthy, they get upset if they don't get their veggie treats and when I process my chickens they are so meaty.

They send coupons for the Omega3 stuff only now
hmm.png
It's good stuff, but I don't want to pay a 50lb price for a 40lb bag.

With chickens you can make it as hard on yourself as you want. I'm sure over time I will mix stuff in with their food, or even do the whole fermenting thing
lol.png

I just wanted to remind everyone that our club “The Gulf Coast Poultry Fanciers Association” is hosting our first large Poultry Show November 9th at the LSU Parker Coliseum in Baton Rouge, La on the campus of LSU. The deadline to enter this event is October 29th. For more information please check out our club’s web site. http://www.gcpfa.com/
Please help us by supporting this event and entering some birds because it will be a fun time for the entire family!!!
Thanks,
Chris Herzog

[COLOR=000000]I just wanted to remind everyone that our club “The Gulf Coast Poultry Fanciers Association” is hosting our first large Poultry Show November 9[SUP]th[/SUP] at the LSU Parker Coliseum in Baton Rouge, La on the campus of LSU. The deadline to enter this event is October 29[SUP]th[/SUP]. For more information please check out our club’s web site.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]http://www.gcpfa.com/[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000] Please help us by supporting this event and entering some birds because it will be a fun time for the entire family!!!
Thanks,
Chris Herzog[/COLOR]
I would love to drive from East Alabama there maybe carpool with someone on the way?! Any recommendations for accommodations?

Back
Top Bottom