ALABAMA!!

I looked in my chicken log book from last year and TSC Ft Payne didn't get chicks until March 1st .
I bought 6 bantams for $17.94, two died that day, one more died on March the 3rd.
I'm thinking about getting some ducks this year and cornish X.

how old are urs? And at what age did they start crowing? Did u wake up 1 day to a crowing roo? Dang im annoying

My dark Brahma Rooster (2 years old) didn't crow until almost 4 months old. My light Brahma (1year old) started just before 3 months old. Dark just started crowing one day and the Light barked like a dog for about a week first. But they tend to only crow in the morning or when scared. My silkies are my loud ones. any time and all day. But my partridge silkie will hum with me.

Last edited:
I got my babies from TSC on Feb 10th last year... got a few more the following week. None died.

Guess it varies from store to store. I did get mine a little later in the day. One would assume that the weak ones possibly already died at that point.

I was in the Bessemer TSC today. They are all set up for chicks but no chicks. I asked when, employee said any day??

troy
yeah I was there yesterday when the original date they told me was Mon. I will call again tomorrow but he told me they won't know when they are getting them for sure or not on a day until 10-10:30 and that all the crazy weather messed up the delivery

Bessemer TSC has black sex link, production red, Cornish X and silver laced wyandotte. The ducks did not come in. I'm here now.
smile.png
Are you going to get any?

Well, Montevallo has chicks. No bantams, for you sikie lovers. Sorry.

They have 'red pullets' which could be RIR, NHR, production reds etc. Some are darker, some are lighter.. so I think it could very well be a mix. They have Cornish X as well, straight run Black Giants, straight run black sexlinks (funny, because they're sexlinks.... I think they were all pullets, since I didn't see any with a white spot on their head) and mixed ducks.

I didn't get anything... nothing really stood out to me. I'll just wait til next week, or get them some elsewhere. *sigh* More patience....

Are you going to get any?
No, I came home with nothing.
hit.gif
I was already out and about and forgot to ask what he had before I went there. The SIlver Laced Wyandottes looked kinda like EE's to me .. not much silver and definitely chipmunk looking BUT being a newb what do I really know? I forgot to look at their leg color.
At least the black sex links were solid black like they were supposed to be and not with a white dot on their head. I was really hoping for a bantam assortment so I could get a couple silkie's. They had them all caged off with 4 of those portable horse corral panels so I couldn't get a good look at them between that and a 2yo. I had to make the decision between.. did I want some of those breeds bad enough to upset hubby who thinks I have too many already.. so .. no.
sad.png

I got there maybe 20m after they got them and let them out. They only had water in the pens so far and some of the staff was wondering why they were still chirping so much poor chickies.

Well, Montevallo has chicks. No bantams, for you sikie lovers. Sorry.

They have 'red pullets' which could be RIR, NHR, production reds etc. Some are darker, some are lighter.. so I think it could very well be a mix. They have Cornish X as well, straight run Black Giants, straight run black sexlinks (funny, because they're sexlinks.... I think they were all pullets, since I didn't see any with a white spot on their head) and mixed ducks.

I didn't get anything... nothing really stood out to me. I'll just wait til next week, or get them some elsewhere. *sigh* More patience....
Close to what Bessemer had!

My dad measured for my coop Tues. and should be bringing in the supplies sometime today. Unfortunately he won't be able to work on it until next week when I won't be here to help and make sure it's how I would like it. We have different opinions on how much room chickens need >_< which is why when he had his 3 RIR in a very small tractor they pecked each other bald and quit laying or if they did lay.. they ate them. I'm glad for the help, just want it right on the first try is all ;)

Back
Top Bottom