ALABAMA!!

Thrashers is Bessemer had Buff Orpingtons and RIR, I think.  I just saw them in the bins.  I didn't ask.  That was Friday and they had quite a few.  I don't think they have a minimum to buy.  

My Orpington chicks from Wisher are doing great.  Her Black Orpingtons are amazing.  Amy is really nice in Cullman.  I saw someone on here bought some chicks from her.  There is a guy near Huey town.  He has Black and Blue Copper Marans, Legbars, Rhodebars and Chocolate Orpingtons.  I got my Legbars and Marans from him.  His name is Chuck (205)777-1063 is his business line. 

Definitely RIRs and buff orps at Thrasher in Bessemer. I am pretty sure that they don't have a minimum. If I didn't have chicks in the brooder and an incubator full of eggs I am sure my girls would have talked me into getting some to go with the feed yesterday.

I also got my marans and legbar from Chuck. I am impressed with both of them. The marans are laying big eggs (over 75g) and the legbar is laying about 6 eggs a week, each 65-70g with no added light. They are all less than a year old.

I also got my marans and legbar from Chuck. I am impressed with both of them. The marans are laying big eggs (over 75g) and the legbar is laying about 6 eggs a week, each 65-70g with no added light. They are all less than a year old.

Got pics of the birds and eggs? I'm not all too far from Bessemer and those are two breeds I would definitely consider having.

i was reading about some sq birds that werent allowed in the sunlight for fear of feather discoloration. Thats pretty hardcore. Oh and they said my chickens are ugly.
You know I didn't realize that feather can discolor too until one of the people that show orp told me that too. Who knew?
hu.gif
But mine were pets, so it didn't matter? And Wisher1000 is right, different people have different focus. Do you really care if they are not close to standard?

ps: It's the same with some of the people that show dogs too. I have an ex-show dog and she never touched grass until I got her. They didn't want grass stain on her coat.
roll.png

Last edited:
My Buff is the most cuddley chicken I have. She gets in map lap and if I am not sitting, she tugs on my clothes until I pick her up. I have 2 EEs that are also very snuggley. All 3 trying to fit on my lap at once.
Love the pic!
My solid white EE Angel Cake is my friendliest. All 5 of the others are shades of brown and have appropriate brown food names to match Angel. :) My next friendliest would be Pepper (Dr. Pepper) a Barred Rock. When I walk in the room Angel runs over to the side of the playpen trying to get my attention and Pepper is one of the first once to greet me when I take the top off of the playpen by jumping on the sides!

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who fangirls over Wisher and her Black Orps!
bow.gif

I am so in the dumps and Wisher as always had the right advice and the right words to pick me up.

Today one of my 12 (?) week old Black Orps from Wisher got poked in the eye.

It bled just a little and I immediatly scooped her up and put her in the hospital room. it is still swollen shut and she is just kinda sitting there...almost stunned. I fed her water with a dropper to make sure she got some and she has water and food with in reach. I am just beside myself with worry. She is one of my very favorite and I totally feel like it's my fault.
hit.gif

I was moving all the "babies" to the new bigger pen my wonderful DH completed this weekend and during the ruckus she got poked in the eye.

Please everyone (as silly as it sounds) pray that little Jackie O's eye gets better and if God forbid the eye never recovers that she learns to cope with it.
fl.gif

Love the pic!
My solid white EE Angel Cake is my friendliest. All 5 of the others are shades of brown and have appropriate brown food names to match Angel. :) My next friendliest would be Pepper (Dr. Pepper) a Barred Rock. When I walk in the room Angel runs over to the side of the playpen trying to get my attention and Pepper is one of the first once to greet me when I take the top off of the playpen by jumping on the sides!
There were 2 on my lap and I was trying to take a picture and the 3rd jumped up. You can see the blur. I was hard to take the next picture because I was laughing so hard. The one jumping is Cinnamon. She sneaks in the house and lays eggs in weird places or comes over for a snuggle. If she hears the back door or the dog flap, she starts running from where ever she is. She has made me laugh so much. I love that crazy chicken. She is orange and white and lays a large olive egg. All her kids have been pretty and every egg put in the incubator has hatched. SHe is great.

If I learned one thing, it's that chickens are amazing at healing.

My latest hawk attacked bird just started laying again.. they recover from wounds one would think not possible.

If anyone is interested a friend of mine's daughter is selling 9 Buff Orps pullets. They are 16 weeks old. She lives near Ozark/ Enterprise. PM me if you want her contact information.

yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom