ALABAMA!!

Yea i hate those predictors lol. I have a safe coop and let them out to free range while we are outside (weather permitting). We have been busy trying to get our rental property fixed up. We feel bad keeping em cooped up so its time to make a run. That green stuff is tough. I couldnt break a single strand. I can rip chicken wire open and its the same price.

I live in Tuscaloosa, Just finished building our chicken house and now we need to get chickens. I'm trying to follow in my papa's footsteps and he passed in September so I can't really ask him an questions now. What is the best to do? Buy hens and roo, then put eggs in the incubator then raise the baby chicks and so on. Advice please? Would like to see about getting some chickens this weekend.
roll.png
It depends on how fast you need eggs, if you're wanting eggs pretty quick, buy hens, if you buy chicks it will be about 5 or 6 months before you get eggs. Of course you will pay more for grown hens, but with feed costs you will have just as much in chicks by the time they're ready to lay as you would if you buy grown hens/pullets

Yea i hate those predictors lol. I have a safe coop and let them out to free range while we are outside (weather permitting). We have been busy trying to get our rental property fixed up. We feel bad keeping em cooped up so its time to make a run. That green stuff is tough. I couldnt break a single strand. I can rip chicken wire open and its the same price.

Chicken wire is not good for predators either. But they will chew through the plastic. Don't get me wrong, I have used both and the plastic holds up well, but I wouldn't trust it if there are aggressive dogs etc. and I definitely wouldn't trust it against night predators.

i kinda asked. But they essentially said for me to throw em away and start over. Lol. My wife said if she were bigger she would punch that guy in the throat for bad mouthing her babies. Lol

bamadude lol, it can be brutal, but if you ask, sumboddy gonna say, just sayin' lol. There are a LOT of knowledgeable people on BYC who don't post much, but when they do....listen. I've been breeding marans for a few years now, and have learned SO much from people on here. Eventually you may get to the point where you want birds that live up to the standard,but as long as your chickens lay eggs, who cares what they look like.
I can understand their point of view too, though. I see ssooooooo many Marans out there that people are using for breeding (that should be in a stew pot) that I just wanna choke somebody. I was lucky enough to get decent birds from the start, but without the knowledge I picked up here I would have had no idea what a good marans looks like.

Okay, hard question here but I must ask. I have searched and can't find the answer. I was wondering if any of ya'll would know. I attended the Chicken and Egg Festival in Moulton last year. I was there on the Friday Show. There was someone there that had a good amount of White Call Ducks entered in the show and they also had some for sale. I was showing as well but not in ducks and never saw or met the person. I was HOPING someone had some information on who had them. I am REALLY interested!!!

Back
Top Bottom